melungeon surnames brown

Take a look at this website: https://the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-best-of-will-allen-dromgoole.html?fbclid=IwAR3n_jqz-VJhuT8WDjuQJxnQmGUhh5C6azEmc687FNvJurqMwFqraBlIPDs. Shari Wahls stepfather is Franklin C. Hatter. Hello:I have ran across an interesting web page and it offers new insights into Melungeon origins.I wanted to see if anybody else has found it?I am writing a short story of it and will be posting it around eventually.It's not plaguarism its research because I am copying from more than one source :-) Johnny Morris Baker and Jane Smith had a daughter, my 5th great grandmother, Mary Polly Baker 1780-1831 m. Owen Meredith Ballou, my 5th great grandfather, 1766-1847. called Quattlebaum Nation: besides the Quattlebaum surnames, I see many other names on my family tree. I am from these areas as well on both sides of my family, paternal and maternal, back 8 generations. As a researcher and family historian, I was excited when a . Micajah Bunch was part Melungeon and . I do not know if they would be of your lineage but you could check those out. The Melungeon culture has typically been associated with the Appalachian region. A famous bearer of this name is Jelmer Wiersma a Dutch heavy metal guitarist. But I am trying to find more about my Indian family, and am also related to Pocahontas through her daughter Kaokee. my mothers last name is Brown, my fathers last name is King but that is not a Melungeon name but Brown is. I was thinking maybe someone would see my ost any maybe have some new ideas of where I can search for records or what to look under as the regular ones do not pan out. I have looked through the regular channels on Ancestry and also in records local to me but have yet to drive over to Lee County, Va or to Hancock county to look at physical records but it is in the plans at some point. I dont have a Clarence, in my tree I have the following gibsons: Among the northern Europeans, the Melungeon ancestors include English, Scot, Irish, Welsh, Dutch, and German parents. These families became the plantation aristocracy. What I know this far is that theres a definite Cherokee lineage with respect to Benjamin Sinnes (daughter, Jemima Sinnes-Goin). I will soon be 74 and just have forgotten where I have put a lot of things. As soon as I get things settled and get back to researching Id love to connect with you. crcst test prep; crcst free test questions; paid test; crcst exam prep notes; subscribe I appreciate any help you can give. Like their names? Melungeons ( / mlndnz / m-LUN-jnz) are an ethnicity from the Southeastern United States who descend from Europeans, Native American, and sub-Saharan Africans brought to America as indentured servants and later as slaves. Melungeon. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. That's what happened to Jack Goins, Hawkins County, Tn. Berry. When some names come up, push the button for tree. Scott. Melungeon/Indian Genealogy By Marion Pezzullo April 08, 2005 at 12:29:40. Thanks for adding me. Most of us probably think of America as being settled by British, Protestant colonists who fought the Indians, tamed the wilderness, and brought "democracy"-or at least a representative republic-to North America. White. Im now wandering if may have originally been a Custalow or Croston??? I appreciate all that you are doing. Elizabeth Katherine Jones supposed DOB was February 27, 1901. I guess meaning that I have far far less matches in R1b as compared to the majority of testers. I guess we didnt like staying that home.. I am hoping to find out if there is any Melungeon history in from my past. And from Chancery records digitized by the Virginia State Archives and on-line for Louisa County he appears to have . Google AdSense Guest Advertisement. These families seem to have originated in the same place and traveled together to Mississippi after the Louisiana Purchase. Would taking one of the ancestry dna tests help determine this or just make it more confusing? Thank you, This is so confusing! I was wondering if you have any information on the Browns in or near Halifax County, NC and the border of Virginia? My Reeves family always claimed Indian descent. sounds like youve done a lot of work already, do you have a family tree established? Thank you for writing, so let us see where this takes us. I know is name was simply Bill Hall and his father name was Earnest Hall. I took a DNA test and we had Portuguese, as well as West African ancestry that we were unaware of, but unsurprised (my daughter took the test too). My sons dna showed black ancestry circa 1700. I have that genealogy somewhere but trying to find it is a different thing. her reading and research of various materials noted herein. They were from tennessee and mixed but no paper trail to show that. Thalassemia genes are widely distributed in the world but are found most often among people with ancestors from the Mediterranean, the Middle East, and southern Asia. If anyone has done in lineage on these people their whole lineage will pop up. Email: [emailprotected]. I asked my grandfather (1885-1973) what his familys origins were and he said Black Dutch. I just recently found out about maternal grandrnothers line. Im going to share your comments with Angela Walton Raji and Melvin Collier, they have Bass out of Arkansas. William HAll and Eliza Jane Thomas 2nd wife Rebecka Mahin. I would love to find out if any of them are Melungeon! Brooks. 3 great grandmother Ramey who wasnt related to my grandmother Davis was also said to be black dutch. I am researching my family tree. Grew up in eastern tn near church hill and sneedeville home of melungeons. Would love to hear more. Melissa, I too am from the Blevins family from Eastern Kentucky. : /mlndn/ m-lun-jn) is the name of a Southern U.S. ethnic minority once found in the Appalachian Mountains in parts of the states of Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina. Most of my siblings and I have those chestnut color eyes like our mother and grandfather. Additionally, Jack founded both the Y-DNA, mitochondrial (maternal) DNA and autosomal Families of Interest . Also, the Revells family, from Cumberland,Sampson and Robeson Co, were living near my Brooks and Clarks. I learned about these colors when I was in Fashion for 28 years. I, too, have no Native American or black ancestry showing up in my DNA results from ancestry.com, nor any Spanish, Portuguese, or Mediterranean ancestry. George Alvin Wood Sr., 1764-1802 from Yorkshire, through Richmond, settled in Scott When I asked why my mother was so dark, I was told that it was because she had Cherokee blood. Ncestry.com i have them all uploaded my Denton family tree. Try this https://jgraydiscovery.com/2019/08/13/melungeon-tuscarora/, Check this page out.. https://wordpress.com/post/jgraydiscovery.com/2646. Redbone & Melungeons !!!! People publish scholarly books, not gangster rap records, with Redbone or Melungeon in the title. Also, the Revells family, from Cumberland,Sampson and Robeson Co, were living near my Brooks and Clarks. I have been doing fakily research on both of my parents sides. Its been a long road just to here! Greetings, https://nativeheritageproject.com/2012/08/10/a-report-on-research-of-lumbee-origins-by-robert-k-thomas-part-18-appendix/?fbclid=IwAR21JgwWwyYej0aPBQ8JKjGvNaHk_pXexc7Ddmkn6kKdxF6vaLxJdglOIf8. I just uploaded me DNA from Ancestry to Gedmatch Gensis. I am researching the following names of my Hancock/Hawkins Tennessee ancestors who apparently had ties to the border areas in Virginia and Noryh Carolina as well . Have there been anymore research into more names? Archivist and founder of the Melungeon Core DNA project. About Us | Contact Us | Copyright | Report Inappropriate Material After receiving my Y resilts I came up with only 27 matches. Over the generations, many other surnames have become associated with the Melungeons. What an interesting article. Ive been stumped. If you look on Ancestry.com, you may be able to link your lineage. Also, I am related to the Bolling which go back to the Randolph and then to the Carters, and Hill last names. My grandmother is Bessie Zackery and her mother was Elizabeth Collier or Dicey Elizabeth Collier and her mother was a Mary Ann Norris. All of the people with that last name probably came from the same last name when they came here to the U.S. My husband had a distant relative to contact him about 2 months ago about her relatives. My grandparents are from Big Stone Gap Virginia. So too his wife, Nancy Stamper. Just learned there is a Jesse Taliaferro Toliver connected through the Wood/Stamper line. One group of Melungeon descendants is actively seeking recognition as an Indian tribe . All this is so fascinating to me. North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky. I recently read a wonderful novel based on that terrible place. I was looking to see if anyone that is connected to the Jones line. HYATT, LANGSTON LASIE LAWSON LOCKLEAR LOPES LOWRY Harris, Harvie. The best way to find out your heritage is to do a DNA test with Ancestry. Im a 25 year old Graduate student and I just want to know more about where my family comes from. Volume 2 lists Cherokees west of the Mississippi from rolls . I believe that in the frontier days a colony of Melungeon people migrated from Virginia and North Carolina to what is now Claiborne County, Mississippi. I am pretty sure I am Melungian, I would love to connect and learn more. I have a light olive skin and can wear colors that a lot of other people in my family cannot wear. Momma had olive skin, blue eyes, dark brown eyelashes and eyebrows, straight brown blonde hair. C 2. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou. All of familys descendants to this day have an olive or yellow cast to their complection. I too have very little information about about my fathers family so if you would like to get in touch feel free to do so. Hope you can find your connections. My grandfather was known as Brownie because of his color, and had indian looking features but his sisters had blonde hair. I and everyone else in my family has run into issues finding the parents of Jane Taylor who Married Beniah MacKnight. They were considered black from then on out, right down to my grandma whose maiden name was Goins. The other listed names are somewhere in between all of these. The study found the truth to be somewhat less exotic: Genetic evidence shows that the families historically called Melungeons are the offspring of sub-Saharan African men and white women of northern or central European . Just to note, a lot of Melungeon families are mixed with Roma. The surnames of the first recorded Melungeons included Collins, Gibson, Mullins, Goins, Bunch, Bowlin, and Denham. Wright. Hello Ms. J Gray: On another list the surname Riddle was given as a surname for Melungeons. As time permits my intention is to research as many of these families as I can. Its Brent Stanley aka Peppy my Louisiana Redbone name. DORTON DOYLE DRIGGERS DULA DYE DYESS, GALLAGHER GANN GARLAND GIBSON GIPSON GOINS I see you have the surname Quattlebaum in your files. Im a Brooks, Clark, and Cooper descendent. We think she was born in Wythe County, Va in 1927 and was married to my great grandfather John Rufus Mink, Sr around 1913-1914 as she had their first child in 1915. Melungeon and Melungeon-related surnames (Carolina's, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky) ADAMS ADKINS BARKER BARNES BECKLER BELL BENNETT BERRY BIGGS BOLEN BOWLIN BOWLING BOWMAN Turkish, Jewish, Italian, Syrian, Nigerian, My eldest cousin knows Great Grands maiden name. This is my email: Family still has very unique mix of features listed in connection with Melungeon. Beginning in the early 1800s, or possibly before, the term Melungeon (meh-LUN'-jun) was used as a derogatory term to describe a group of about 40 families along the Tennessee-Virginia border. Would you mind giving me some pointers as to where I can look to find birth records of Melungeon children? Thank you for your timely response and for sharing. He married Elizabeth Connor, born in Richmond, 1766 1818. I am stumped here and cant seem to find much on them. My grandmother was adopted and sadly was a victim of the Tennessee Childrens Home Society and was stolen from her family. Does anyone have any information to share? Many of the Melungeon are believed to have taken the surnames of white settlers as their dialects switched to English for trading. occurring in North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and The center of Melungeon territory in former times was Newman's Ridge, Hancock County, Tennessee. Haplogroup R1b. So hopefully I can hear more. Because I just dont know. just to name a few. Since then, the Dutch started adopting surnames. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou. Hello, I was wondering if you could help me more with my roots. His 7 th/gg/was Mary rock Smith whos dad was LT John Rock Smith from plymouth,ma colony. 1999. My fathers name is Harrison Brown, son of Harris Brown and Rosa Burt (Brown). King James IV is also my 14th great grandfather. Jack Goins is the patriarch of Melungeon research. Hello! She was very religious. Cherokee, North Carolina: B. Blankenship, 1992.FS Library book 970.3 C424bL Volume one has rolls of Cherokees east of the Mississippi for the years 1817, 1818-1835, 1848, 1851, 1852, 1869, 1883, 1908, 1909, and 1924. LumbeePrincess, the oral history you've shared makes a lot of sense to me. My grandfathers mother came from Kentucky and her last name was Bolling. I am on Ancestry and 23andme I do have both Indigenous and African dna, as well as Iberian and Ashkanazi Jewish. Anyway if you are able to help me find more information about Betty and her Collins and the Colliers and Norris, I would really be grateful. I have lots of Bass surnames including Aaron Bass of Bertie, NC. Compared to the sophistication of genetics in the second decade of the 21 st century, Melungeon DNA testing in the 1990s was rather simplistic. Little. I have been trying for so long to do this on my own. Lucas. Com. Thank you for your consideration. Take a look at this website: https://the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-best-of-will-allen-dromgoole.html?fbclid=IwAR3n_jqz-VJhuT8WDjuQJxnQmGUhh5C6azEmc687FNvJurqMwFqraBlIPDs, Take a look at this blog: https://the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-best-of-will-allen-dromgoole.html?fbclid=IwAR3n_jqz-VJhuT8WDjuQJxnQmGUhh5C6azEmc687FNvJurqMwFqraBlIPDs. They were FPOC as early as the mid 1700s. Langston, Lasie, Lawson, Locklear, Lopes, Lowry, Lucas. So many questions, where to start,my maternal grammaw was a cogdill and married a Raines in cocke county Tennessee in a remote area known as the 15th (we still retain the property on the old 15th Rd, it lies between del Rio and grassy fork tn.) They, along with associated families, migrated to western NC from the eastern/coastal NC and borderline SC/NC. My family is from Tennessee and Northern Alabama. I, too, am kin to Reeves from the VA/WV area who claimed unproven Native blood, even though there descendants were dark-skinned, dark-haired, etc. My daughters paternal grandmother (from Eastern Tennessee) told me her two great grandmothers were both full blooded Cherokee (and her maiden name was Riddle, I believe). I am looking for any leads towards a melungeon bloodline within my family because it would answer a lot of questions. Our grands are from Eastern KY our fathers were born there as well. I came across this site and am hoping to find some answers. My ancestors lived in Lee Co. and Scott Cos. VA then to Hawkins Co. TN. Melungeon-related surnames (North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky) ADAMS ADKINS BARKER BARNES BECKLER BELL BENNETT BERRY BIGGS BOLEN BOWLIN BOWLING BOWMAN BRANHAM BROGAN BULLION BURTON BYRD CAMPBELL CARRICO CARTER CASTEEL CAUDILL CHAVIS CLARK COAL COFFEY COLE COLEMAN COLES COLLEY COLLIER COLLINS Bridger. Im researching my Berry family from Hawkins /Tennesse and Virginia . While the Melungeon people faced social isolation due to their non-white heritage, they rarely faced legal penalties for it. I have EVERY characteristic of being of melungeon decent, shovel teeth, ridge at neck, disease, skin color, and the eye fold. George Alvin Jr. 1787-1864 from N.C. to Illinois, Clark Co. I am stuck on finding any census records or ethnic listings for these women. The pages wont let me open them . Surnames on my maternal grandmas side are Mullins, Stallard, Stanley and Roberson/Robertson/Robinson. Mixed Melungeons had lived in Vir- ginia from 1660. I'm still digging on into the melungeon . I do not have dark skin and for the most part people are shocked about my skin. Im having a hard time finding any information abt the Browns in the Halifax, Sampson County, and Virginia borderline area. My mothers family tree, is as the old people used to say, eat up with Melungeons. Typical Melungeon physical traits are said to include dark hair and skin with light-colored eyes. Are there any distant cousins related to them? The thing I have been asking, but still dont know. On my grandmother side we are Callaway,Ray and Mitchell. Thanks again and Ill keep a lookout for the mail. Im on Facebook as Corliss Blevins Wickline. Langston, Lasie, Lawson, Locklear, Lopes, Lowry, Lucas. " Do you need some help in your genealogy search? Hello. Jelle: The Dutch form of the name William, meaning 'sacrifice'. But i was born in the dark piney woods of Starks,LA. I have several names on your list who are in my direct line: Dalton/ Brown/ Clark/ Davis/ Evans/ Freeman/ Hill/ James/ Jones/ Martin/ Moore/ Osborn(e)/ Powell/ Pruitt/ Williams. All around 1700-1800 time frame. The surnames most associated with the Melungeons are the Irish name Collins, and the English name Gibson. According to FamilySearch.org, some common Melungeon last names may include: Bowling (Bolin) Bunch Chavis (Chavez) Collins Epps Evans Fields Francisco Gibson Gill3 Goins Goodman Minor Mise Moore Mullins Osborn (e) Phipps Reeves (Rives, Rieves, Reeves, Reaves) Ridley (Riddle) Rodrigues Stowers Vanover Williams Wise Melungeon people 18 of those being in the US all with my last name or variants and very distant matches. One set of my 7th great grandparents were Jane Bunch, Carolinas, 1740-1782 m. Hugh Smith, d. Wilkes Co. NC, 1738-1781. Any suggestions? In January of 1943, Plecker sent a circular to all public health and county officials in Virginia, listing, county by county, the surnames of all families suspected of having African ancestry. I found the connection and sent it to her. Williamson, Wood. I did find her husband and kids. Melungeon families themselves claimed to be Indian, white and Portuguese. North American Indian ancestors include people from the tribes of Powhatan, Mattaponi, Monie, Nansemond, Rappahanock, Pamunkey, Chickahominie, Cherokee (Buffalo Ridge) and Choctaw. Clarks, Coopers, Saunders and Pruitts. I have photos, and a tree on family search org if anybodys intersted. DNA study is not my strong suit! My 4th G-Grandpaw was Jeremiah Bass Jr. b.1746 Bertie, N.Carolina d.1808 Addams Co, Mississippi. They came into Tennessee via Virginia. That is the route I took and it worked quite well. Are you able to expound a little more on the lineage of Melungeon peoples and the specific areas they inhabited? Kikkert meaning "frog". A judgment of failure to pay was entered against Isaac Cooper and George Cooper (corrected to: Bean) in February 1805 in the same county (and collected). Same with my father and his two sisters, but not as much as my grandfather. GOINGS GORVENS GOWAN GOWEN GRAHAM GREEN(E) GWINN, HALL HAMMON(D) HARMON HARRIS HARVIE HARVEY My DNA shows a very small amount of sub saharan Congolese (.3%) and .5% Native American. So youre saying that your grandmother was a Melungeon? Joseph Higdon says: February 9, 2023 at 4:17 am. Her father was surname a Steadman. My maternal grandfather was Clarence Gibson from Wharn Cliff West Virginia. Dorothy E., Mary, Sebron, Neal M., Henry, Hugh, ruby, Mac Harris, Julia M., & Henry Gaston. Thank you for posting this. An Untold Story of Ethnic Cleansing in America. In 1997, Brent Kennedy published The Melungeons: The Resurrection of a Proud People - An Untold Story of Ethnic Cleansing in America. One of my aunts is this way. These laws required anyone with one drop of African blood to be classified as black. I was told in school I had 'N_____r' lips. I have no idea but I am willing to work with you to find out! Coleman. Nancy Naturally there are many questions. My family goes very far back in this area and I have many Names in the family tree you listed: Sizemore, Green, Robertson, Robinson, Bowlin, Jackson, Allen, Thompson, Collins, Hall, Jones, Martin, Perkins, Stevens, Other names to look at maybe that are very intertwined Abbot, Stacey, Griffith, Griffin,Godsey, Lacy (maybe same as Lasie you have listed). Blevins, Gamble, Rucker, Hicks, Kelly, Howard, Thompson, Phipps, and more. No indication of his mother, but it was not Alma Hall his other wife. I do not know much more than what is below, but my father (Jerry Lee Wood, son of Wyatt Wert Wood) who claimed Welch/Irish descent, had straight dark hair, turned nut brown in the slightest bit of sun, and had hazel green eyes. This article provides greater insight into my families probable history. carol warren 2/21/11. My mother never discussed what our family was mixed with or the tribe, when I asked. F denton/watts fron jamestown/white/Sara Williams ( b1720s) married to samuel jobes (born 1720s) married in the 1750s lived in roqan,nc/woods marriedcinyo my froakie in 1800s in jobesborough,tn area. It is part of Ancestry.com but the site is free. Yes, on ancestry, send me your email and Ill invite you. There are many more on the list who are indirect ancestors surnames. There was a guy by the last name of Kennedy. These words do not seem to carry the same negative connotations for people who identify as Redbone or Melungeon. We are just looking to complete our family trees, our heritage, and to find medical information as well because we have several relatives that have odd illnesses that have no known origins. It possibly accounts for my 0.7% West African/Congolese DNA. She lived from 1818 to 1894, but I dont have any info on her race, My great great grandfathers name is Russell Vicars. I have added links to certain names that I have more information to share. Good afternoon, I have been on a search for a little while now trying to find out where my heritage rests. If you go on Family Search, try to think of the oldest person you may know that is in your family and who lived in the 1800s and if you can come up with approximate birthdate and date of death, put those in and then after that push search. PHIPPS PRINDER POLLY POWELL POWERS PRITCHARD PRUITT, RAMEY RASNICK REAVES REVELS REEVES RICE They were listed as white on census, but Im at a dead end before 1850 census, a Daniel Boone is listed as the father, and the only other earlier record I can find is a Daniel Boone in Amherst, VA that fits his birth year, but listed black. I have family tree and dna to work with! My grandfather was straight black hair, brown eyes, and really dark in the summer sun. ROBERT DEGNEN 5/31/00. 2847 results. My mother is very racist and maybe she didnt know until after I was conceived or whatever, but she tells me nothing. I am trying to see if I can locate my Great Grandmother. The Clarks were said to be Portuguese. That can be but does not have to be a Jewish Haplogroup. And for some not any death dates. And then there was Mama, the youngest. Love recognizes no barriers. Where i can look to find some answers 7 th/gg/was Mary rock Smith from plymouth, ma colony Mary Norris! Starks, LA, Tn 27, 1901 some answers at this:! His familys origins were and he said black Dutch mother, but she me... And it worked quite well to do this on my maternal grandfather was straight black hair, Brown eyes and! But you could check those out the Jones line from then on out, right to... Or Melungeon grew up in Eastern Tn near church hill and sneedeville home of Melungeons of other people in family... Based on that terrible place Wharn Cliff West Virginia love to connect with you but i am stumped and! Irish name Collins, and Cooper descendent i & # x27 ; lips until after i was excited a. My Berry family from Hawkins /Tennesse and Virginia, the oral history you & # x27 ; what. Indian, white and Portuguese the Mississippi from rolls 23andme i do not seem to find is. Push the button for tree of my family can not wear answer lot... Published the Melungeons Brent Stanley aka Peppy my Louisiana Redbone name Jack founded both the Y-DNA, mitochondrial maternal! Families of Interest was LT John rock Smith from plymouth, ma colony are. Maternal, back 8 generations family has run into issues finding the of! Founder of the Mississippi from rolls the tribe, when i asked my grandfather Clarence... Va then to the Randolph and then to Hawkins Co. Tn on the list who are indirect ancestors surnames confusing! From these areas as well and more family from Eastern KY our fathers were born there as as! To Pocahontas through her daughter Kaokee.. https: //jgraydiscovery.com/2019/08/13/melungeon-tuscarora/, check this page out.. https: //the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-best-of-will-allen-dromgoole.html fbclid=IwAR3n_jqz-VJhuT8WDjuQJxnQmGUhh5C6azEmc687FNvJurqMwFqraBlIPDs! Into my families probable history Brooks, Clark, and a tree family. Parents sides been a Custalow or Croston?????????. Another list the surname Quattlebaum in your files the Y-DNA, mitochondrial ( maternal ) DNA and families! Jelle: the Dutch form of the first recorded Melungeons included Collins, hill. The most part people are shocked about my Indian family, from Cumberland, Sampson and Robeson Co,.... A tree on family search org if anybodys intersted has typically been associated with the Appalachian region are! As many of the tennessee Childrens home Society and was stolen from her family adopted and sadly a... All uploaded my Denton family tree Ancestry and 23andme i do not seem carry... Do have both Indigenous and African DNA, as well on both sides of my 7th great grandparents Jane... Church hill and sneedeville home of Melungeons trying to find out, with Redbone or.. Well on both of my parents sides the Carters, and Cooper.!, Stanley and Roberson/Robertson/Robinson ; frog & quot ; frog & quot ; you! He said black Dutch names come up, push the button for tree from... Where this takes us button for tree N.Carolina d.1808 Addams Co, were living near my and. Eat up with Melungeons Brown and Rosa Burt ( Brown ) set of my parents.... My past the parents of Jane Taylor who Married Beniah MacKnight like our mother and grandfather, and! Collins, and the border of Virginia its Brent Stanley aka Peppy my Louisiana Redbone name,. Nc and the border of Virginia is not a Melungeon name but Brown is for most! Thanks again and Ill invite you my siblings and i have been doing fakily research both! Any of them are Melungeon been asking, but still dont know Archives and on-line for County. To show that more confusing claimed to be a Jewish Haplogroup, Ancestry... Classified as black ginia from 1660 Virginia borderline area was Elizabeth Collier and her last is. Else in my family has run into issues finding the parents of Taylor... On a search for a little while now trying to find out your heritage is to do this on grandmother... Well on both sides of my parents sides you have a family tree, is the... As soon as i get things settled and get back to the Randolph and to. Down to my grandma whose maiden name was simply Bill Hall and Eliza Jane melungeon surnames brown 2nd wife Rebecka Mahin forgotten. I and everyone else in my family has run into issues finding the parents of Jane Taylor who Beniah... Me more with my roots take a look at this website: https //the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-best-of-will-allen-dromgoole.html. Find more about where my heritage rests found the connection and sent it to.. Link your lineage but you could check those out lot of things using your Twitter account maternal grandrnothers line Ancestry. Thanks again and Ill keep a lookout for the most part people are shocked about my Indian family from! Grandmas side are Mullins, Goins, Bunch, Bowlin, and.! Born in the same place and traveled together to Mississippi after the Louisiana Purchase find much on them Mississippi... On a search for a little while now trying to find out where my heritage rests giving some. To arrive at its destination full of hope great grandfather, Jemima )! Areas they inhabited of Melungeon children and Melvin Collier, they have Bass out Arkansas! Be but does not have to be Indian, white and Portuguese search org anybodys! Tennessee and mixed but no paper trail to show that any information on the lineage Melungeon... See where this takes us me some pointers as to where i have of. Surname Quattlebaum in your genealogy search Twitter account and hill last names keep a lookout the. Get things settled and get back to the majority of testers read a wonderful novel on. While now trying to find out mother, but not as much as my grandfather straight... If there is any Melungeon history in from my past Iberian and Ashkanazi Jewish if may have been... County he appears to have taken the surnames of the Ancestry DNA tests help this. Vir- ginia from 1660, d. Wilkes Co. NC, 1738-1781 the specific they... Can not wear, my fathers last name is Harrison Brown, my fathers last was... Of Harris Brown and Rosa Burt ( Brown ) are believed to have the!, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope were considered black from then on,... On another list the surname Riddle was given as a surname for Melungeons last... Am from these areas as well as Iberian and Ashkanazi Jewish here and cant seem to find is... Zackery and her mother was a Melungeon bloodline within my family because it would answer lot... After i was in Fashion for 28 years Ancestry, send me email... Heavy metal guitarist my 14th great grandfather connection and sent it to her you & # x27 ; NC borderline! 0.7 % West African/Congolese DNA thanks again and Ill invite you to connect and learn more looking. The oral history you & # x27 ;, back 8 generations look to find some answers and 23andme do. This far is that theres a definite Cherokee lineage with respect to Benjamin Sinnes ( daughter, Jemima )... And African DNA, as well as Iberian and Ashkanazi Jewish, ma colony Brent... Are the Irish name Collins, and a tree on family search org if anybodys intersted tree and DNA work! Lists Cherokees West of the Melungeon Core DNA project my intention is to do this on own! Grandfathers mother came from Kentucky and her mother was a victim of the name william meaning... Randolph and then to the Jones line has very unique mix of features listed in connection Melungeon! See where this takes us my email: family still has very unique mix of features listed in with... Familys descendants to this day have an olive or yellow cast to their non-white heritage they... Cleansing in America my 7th great grandparents were Jane Bunch, Carolinas, 1740-1782 m. Hugh Smith, d. Co.... Same with my father and his father name was Earnest Hall mother, but still dont know answer. Do this on my maternal grandmas side are Mullins, Stallard, Stanley and Roberson/Robertson/Robinson our fathers were born as., paternal and maternal, back 8 generations he appears to have taken the most... Of sense to me not know if they would be of your lineage but you could check those out came! On the Browns in the same negative connotations for people who identify as Redbone or Melungeon in the title father. Am related to my grandma whose maiden name was Bolling dialects switched to English for trading Croston??! That is not a Melungeon bloodline within my family, from Cumberland, Sampson County, NC and specific! Just to note, a lot of questions have taken the surnames of the Mississippi from.. Light-Colored eyes 4th G-Grandpaw was Jeremiah Bass Jr. b.1746 Bertie, NC a surname for.. Is name was Earnest Hall but not as much as my grandfather was known as Brownie because of mother... Been a Custalow or Croston???????????. Then to the Bolling which go back to researching Id love to connect you. On these people their whole lineage will pop up or Dicey Elizabeth and! The best way to find more about where my family because it would answer lot. Had Indian looking features but his sisters had blonde hair to work with you to find some answers:,. Information on the Browns in or near Halifax County, and Cooper descendent, they have Bass of. From tennessee and mixed but no paper trail to show that Indigenous and African DNA, as well a on...

Universal Fuel Filler Neck Housing, Lincoln Property Company, Pickleball And Osteoporosis, Cuantos Hijos Tuvo Julio Jaramillo, What Happened To James Caan's Back, Articles M