is menthol bad for cats

Hyrum loves my hair too, he always thinks it needs grooming, lol. Coffee, tea, energy drinks, chocolate, and other caffeinated drinks and foods can cause your cat to become restless and have rapid breathing, heart palpitations, and/or muscle tremors. Cats rely heavily on their scent for identification and claiming their territory. Now they have some reaction,but not much or for very long. Please tell me how to accomplish this. Think your cat longs to explore all of springtimes splendors on her own? What are the potential side effects? What are the side effects of Camphor for cats? Steam from heated water has great effects on human colds as well as cats. Aspirin sensitivity can occur in both dogs and cats, especially cats. But lending a hand in grooming can greatly reduce the amount of hair your cat ingests, which means theres less to be processed or spewed up. Warm, moist air will open up her nasal passages and let her breathe easier. Menthol can be harmful to cats when ingested in large amounts. I took her to the veterinarian who emptied her anal sacs but said they would probably refill every month or two. Because of this, cat owners must exercise extreme caution and avoid exposing their cat to the actual ointment, as some can be harmful to cats. Sometimes I just sewed little soft toys for them and put the catnip inside. ASPCA Surpasses $200 Million in Grant Funding to Nationwide Organizations and Animal Welfare Groups. Many creams, including Bengay and Icy Hot, contain salicylates, which are derivatives of aspirin. This could be from the air they consume or even through the water. It's amusing to see what cats find interesting and go crazy. Cats will only be harmed by menthol if they consume huge amounts of the herb, which is rare. Will have to do a test on my kitties. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. 11 Holiday Foods That Are Dangerous for Your Cat. D Three Ltd is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. Infrequently, xylitol may be found in cough drops. They are mysterious. Check out Baxter's Backyard for our blogs on Pet Training, Pet Tavel, Pet Health, Pet News, Pet How To, and more! She did NOT like it at all! Salicylates, the generic name for aspirin, are found in both Bengay and Icy Hot. 5 B). One method is steam. That's so funny that you brought it up! It may be confusing if your cat catches a cold when they stay in all the time, right? (Not all cats carry the catnip-reacting gene.). Tolly too LOVES mint and menthol. For example, cats that experience recurrent upper respiratory infections may benefit from echinacea. Menthol and nutmeg oil are the two primary elements unsafe for dogs. Message and data rates may apply. Having said that, each cat will react differently to different herbs. Fortunately, menthol is safe at the small doses Nala ingests when she licks your skin. Dr. Susan : This is especially important if your cat is displaying symptoms such as muscle tremors or repeated vomiting. And does anyone know why they love it so much? She eats plenty, drinks, and has a very playful personality. Menthol is made from a mint, just as catnip is. In cosmetics and skincare products, menthol is used to help relieve pain and to improve the scent and flavour of the product. The menthol is usually diluted. Too cute! | Animal Advisor, 5 Smells Cats Hate vs. If the discharge is bloody, Misty should see her veterinarian. I'm sure someone else will be able to properly help you. Menthol reduces the feeling of respiratory discomfort . The stems, leaves, and flowers of the mint contain high contents of essential oils, which are not safe for cats. There is often some confusion around catmint and catnip. This herb, which belongs to the mint family, contains an essential oil called nepetalactone that drives many cats wild. Numerous chemicals had been isolated from bracken ferns. Or, alternatively lock the door to where the Vapsteam is often stored, or used. 3 . An inquisitive tabby poking her nose into that roasted chicken cooling on the countertop may be annoying, but she does not deserve to be treated like a feline Frisbee. Consult a vet to help you determine the best medication for decongesting your cat. When clicking a link here and buying, we may be able to make a small commission, at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Cats are part of the family, so you may be tempted to share a few pieces of food with them here and there. Although getting sick is sometimes unavoidable, you shouldnt forget about your furry friends as you stock your medicine cabinet this year. . The side effects of Camphor for cats can vary depending on how much they come into contact with. This is what the cat owner was told. Because we reap so many benefits from Vicks vaposteam, we may want to use it on our pets when they suffer muscle pain or inflammation. Whether these come in contact with their skin or are inhaled, they may result in toxicity. Menthol is used in a wide range of products, including inhalants, lozenges, mouthwashes, breath . Menthol is toxic because it contains peppermint essential oil, which is toxic to cats if consumed. Menthol topical side effects. Most topical pain creams and ointments contain wintergreen or menthol in their formula, and both Bengay and Icy Hot are high in menthol. And, this is why some owners may assume it is OK. Cat flu is similar to a humans version of a cold. Mint, wintergreen, and menthol More smells cats hate include mint and strong mint-related odors, such as wintergreen and menthol. So, to be safe, it is best avoided. This behavior can be observed in both domestic and large cats. I have had a toner with high amount of alcohol and toner in it (Clinique sent me as a sample), and to me it didn't cause any irritation but I only used it once a week or . Then praise Misty and offer her a treat so she'll be happy to have you help her again in a month or two. Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information. However, tuna sold for human consumption may cause digestive upset when given as an occasional treat in small amounts. And, for those cats, it could work in reverse. Typically, your cat would have to consume a significant amount of menthol before exhibiting any menthol poisoning symptoms. They are in love with the smell, taste, texture and everything in between. Apply a small amount of Vicks VapoRub to the chin. Salicylate is toxic to both dogs and cats, but it's especially dangerous to cats. Catnip is a perennial herb from the mint family Labiatae. Dr. Susan : It can act as a laxative to some degree, so you may see some loose stool or diarrhea as a result. My cat seems to have a bit of difficulty breathing when she sleeps. As you can see, cats are naturally attracted to menthol. Lee Pickett, VMD, practices companion animal medicine in North Carolina. If your aim is to help your cat get over a cold then there are other safe options. Having said that, each cat will react differently to different herbs. Although it is not harmful if inhaled, it's worth noting that cats can go crazy for the scent. :) Just so you understand, I may take a share of any sales or other compensation from the links on this page. My 8-yr old male is FeLeuk positive and we've had many trips to the vet in the past 6 weeks. There are far more poisonous items on the market that are a far greater cause of concern for your cat. 5. Menthol attracts lions, tigers and other big cats. Catnip is related to mint I think - that maybe why your kitties like mint. Vicks vaporizer or humidifier is not safe for pets, especially cats and dogs. If ingested by cats, dairy products can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Common ones include diphenhydramine, pseudoephedrine, and dimenhydrinate. Cats like mint-scented products or mint plants because the mint smells similar to catnip. They love the smell, the taste, the texture . How about vaporizers? Basil, tea tree, oregano, and clove are all safe for your cat. Luckily she is a HUGE cat lover and didn't really mind. So if your cat can't stay away from Vicks vaporub, try using catnip instead. The AP will not be held liable for any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions therefrom or in the transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages arising from any of the foregoing. You can also check out ASPCAs complete list of toxic and non-toxic plants (and herbs!) Keep Kitty safely harnessed, leashed, and reassured by your presence when outdoors, for her peace of mindand yours. Our goal was for cat owners to enhance those often-overlooked, common instances with increased presence and concern via suggestions from our experts. As you can see, cats are naturally attracted to menthol. Tarragon. Direct contact should be avoided because it may be irritating. Other essential oils safe for pets include mountain savory, cinnamon bark, Laurus nobilis, and lavender. Wrong. Alcohol is not safe for your cat. I have had the same effect when using BenGay. Other harmful ingredients used in topical products like Vicks include: A pet owner who loves to share useful facts and information about a variety of animals. Cats are often attracted to menthol smells. You can also check out ASPCA's complete list of toxic and non-toxic plants (and herbs!) It contains products like menthol and nutmeg oil which have shown to have serious side effects when inhaled by pets. And when we wont let them they dig my arm trying to get me to move it! Ensure that your window screens are sturdy and limit window openings to an inch or two when youre not around to keep Kitty safely indoors. Still have questions about cats or want to share some experience with your cat friend, why not join us on Facebook with other cat lovers? It has potential toxic effects and . If it is applied to their skin or injected it can lead to chemical burns or other unwanted toxic effects. Eucalyptus is known to be bad for cats. The theory is that you can wipe it on an item you want to keep them from. One thing you can try, if your cat keeps messing with your VapoRub, is to offer some catnip instead to distract it from it. You may see your cat have a runny nose, sneeze, or some aches and pains. But many cats love mint and mint-scented products because of the similar scent of mint to catnip. Some people believe that cats are naturally crazy. Infrequently, xylitol may be found in cough drops. Normal sac material is a foul-smelling beige liquid, but if it's been too long since Misty's sacs were emptied, the material will be thick and brown. Severe toxicity is unlikely from single acute exposures to such ointments. This is not good for cats. Q: Why is my cat Nala attracted to menthol? They dont mind the smell of mint. This pungent herb is known to transform lazy (read: chubby) cats into the feline equivalent of Richard Simmons. It must not be ingested, inhaled or applied topically. The go absolutely nuts for that stuff. Customer: is camphor, eucalyptus, menthol harmful to cats? Certain scents that cats dislike can be used to repel them, while others that they prefer can be used to attract them. TheCatSite.com participates in select affiliate advertising programs, including the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Camphor is an extract. Because cats have a stronger sense of smell than humans, they can notice the scent of menthol readily. While you certainly do not want your cat to consume menthol, there is no reason to be alarmed if your cat consumes a small amount. Apply a small amount of Vicks VapoRub to the chin. Keep a close check on your dog to see if anything out of the ordinary occurs or they are exhibiting any symptoms of poisoning. But its regarded as toxic for them if it is ingested. Thank you as always for your heartfelt and passionate comments. In addition to the essential oils that you buy individually, they often appear in other household products such as paint thinner (turpentine is an essential oil) and insect repellent, which has a high risk of fatal reactions for cats, noted . Dairy: Despite popular belief, cats that are no . About TheCatSite.com. If in doubt it best to check in with your vet. Humans have a total of 5 million scent sensors, while cats have 200 million. AskMyCats.com does not intend to provide veterinary advice. Keep reading to get these answers, and so much more. Menthol is poisonous because it contains peppermint essential oil, which is toxic to cats if consumed. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. I've tried the dried stuff and in a spray form and nothing. So, it is understandable if you find yourself wondering, Is Vicks vaporizer safe for cats and dogs?. Cats can not only get drunk, but it can also easily cause severe liver and brain damage. Vaporizers are excellent workarounds to combat atmospheric dryness that can cause congestion, dry nose, and skin dryness in humans. I actually have to fight him off to keep him away. The higher the altitude, the more aromatic the plant will . Some obvious signs of a cat with a cold is when it is shivering, sneezing, or grasping for warmth. With your cat on the loose, ping-ponging around the car, your final destination is disaster. Are vaporizers safe for dogs and/or cats?. The berries contain sapogenins, which are toxic to cats and can immediately cause irritation and gastrointestinal upset. The sacs are lined by glands that produce a foul-smelling liquid which is released through ducts at the anus. Tea tree. Fortunately, menthol is safe at the small doses Nala ingests when she licks your skin. there isn't any reall smell he goes nuts over. Direct contact with eucalyptus oil on the skin can cause chemical burns in cats. Cats have been known to love the smell of menthol. Also, be sure to always keep your flu season supplies stored safely out of paws reach! Their bodies no longer produce enough lactase to digest milkespecially cows milk. Your cat recognizes and is drawn to the similarities between the two herbs. Clinicians should include cough drop use in history taking of patients with persisting cough illnesses. Cooling and pain relief. Uncovering the truth behind the popular Mexican-American dish - Mexicali Blue, The 12 Best Child Prodigy Movies | Movies about geniuses, How to Build an App Like Snapchat in 2022 (A Complete Guide), Cunto paga YouTube en Mxico En pesos MXN , How Hackers Profile Victims for Social Media Engineering Attacks, Laufzeit vs. Lebensdauer: Akku laden - 100 Prozent sind nicht immer optimal, Common Load Cell Types ANYLOAD Weigh & Measure, Why do I crave rice? Catnip is a plant that belongs to the mint family and is used to attract cats. To make sure we are on the same page let me clarify what Vicks VapoRub is. Well, I do for sure. Chocolate The compound in chocolate that is of major concern is theobromine. Camphor is commonly found in topical pain or arthritis body rubs. Dusty want a sniff it and she then backed away with a disgusted look on her face. I just tossed it at him. Especially vicks vapo-rub. As little as a tablespoon of any form of alcohol can put an adult cat in a coma; more than that can kill them. Experts say it will be difficult to keep your cat away from the drug that has menthol on your knee because he's preoccupied with the smell, but if you let him hold onto your hind leg where the drug is, just hold it covered all the time He is there and wash your hands properly. However, it is not guaranteed as a cat repellent. . I don't have an explanation, but I have seen the same thing you saw. How to choose the right food for your cat. Interesting !!! Avoid growing the following herbs in your cat garden, as they can cause vomiting and diarrhea in your pets: Be sure to consult with your veterinarian before trying herbs safe for cats. Can you just give the catnip like straight out of the bag to them ..? D Three Ltd also participates in affiliate programs with Bluehost, Clickbank, CJ, ShareASale, and other sites. Get practical pet health tips, articles, and insights from our veterinary community delivered weekly to your inbox. Humidifiers are safe for cats. Take your dog to the vet clinic as soon as possible so a medical professional can examine them. Give your cat no other human medicines cats are not small humans, and many of our home remedies are toxic to them. Cats are attracted to them for the same reason they are attracted to catnip - they are all members of the same family. Some cats do like the smell of Vicks VapoRub. Because of this, it can lead them to lick on your skin or the product directly. Chocolate also contains caffeine. OMG!, it is too funny. Redhaired103 6 yr. ago. Everything You Need to Know, Are Black Cats Smarter Than Other Cats? I don't know why but she would slobber and claw my poor friend. Find out more about my story. This herb is used topically for its anti-inflammatory properties. While you don't want your cat to swallow menthol, there's no need to worry if a small amount is consumed. ive never tried my kittys with catnip before! And, for that reason, it is best to keep it away from cats. Oh my gosh, this is an old thread, but I just searched 'menthol' and it came up. Why does my cat like the smell of Bengay? Cinnamon is non-toxic to cats. may result in the following symptoms of poisoning: prolonged depression, vomiting, incoordination, sleepiness or excitation, hypersalivation, dilated pupils, low blood pressure, low body temperature, seizure, coma, and, rarely, death. As for giving Simba a tissue, I'm not sure if you should, every night we come down stairs to find the paper towels mauled. Most cough drops contain sugar, menthol, eucalyptus oil, colors and flavorall of which can cause gastrointestinal upset. Dec 29, 2008. Privacy -Designed by Thrive Themes toxic and non-toxic plants (and herbs!) Direct contact should be avoided as it can be irritating. My Cat Stopped Purring When I Got A New Kitten Why? These human foods can cause serious illness in your cat. If youre at work when the incident happens, hours could pass before you realize your cat is hurt or missing. Most topical pain creams and ointments contain wintergreen or menthol in their formula, and both Bengay and Icy Hot contain a lot of menthol. Watch out for gastrointestinal problems if you suspect your cat has ingested a significant amount of menthol. 2 In cigarettes, menthol creates a cooling sensation in the throat and airways, making the smoke feel less harsh and easier to inhale. Examples of some common trade names containing camphor include Carmex, Tiger Balm, Vicks VapoRub, Campho-Phenique, etc. Menthol could be bad for cats if ingested in large quantities. He started rubbing his face all over my couch like a psycho, rolling around, and swatting at me, and trying to nibble my hand. Cats absorb and filter nutrients much differently than humans. Hey, she knows where she lives and shed never wander off, right? Any food not specifically formulated for cats can affect the digestive system, causing vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite. Some zookeepers apply a menthol-containing ointment such as Vicks VapoRub to surfaces inside the cat enclosures to entertain the great cats. Cat owners, on the other hand, must be extremely cautious not to expose their cats to the actual ointment. These are all members of the same family. Ok ummI put some goldbond on my hands for excema (has menthol in it) and went to pet simba ( new kitty). Camphor in ointments, creams, or balm, is unsafe for your cats. Cats have a keen sense of smell, so its not difficult for them to locate it. A lack of thiamine can cause serious neurological problems and lead to convulsions and coma. Cat Pee On Your Fabric Couch? Toxic for cats to inhale no idea smell of Vicks is used for treating congestion Is the smell of Vicks bad for cats? Buckle your cats carrier in place for a safe road trip. If you believe that your pet has ingested cough drops and are concerned about the possible dangers, contact your veterinarian or the APCC immediately to find out the next appropriate steps. Is Vicks safe for cats? Cats like menthol because they are likely getting it confused with another herb from the mint family: catnip! Cats like the smell of methol because it is closely related to catnip. The confusing thing is cats, including large cats, have a natural attraction to it. PetMD reports that as a natural cortisone, licorice root can be used to soothe itchy kitties with allergies, endocrine and digestive issues, as well as respiratory problems like colds, since it soothes mucus membranes.. Come join the discussion about breeding, health, behavior, housing, adopting, care, classifieds, and more! Always supervise the amount of loose catnip or catnip buds your cat is exposed to. All rights reserved.The ASPCA is a 501(c)(3) non-for-profit organization. Also, Vicks vaposteam can be added in humidifiers to eliminate dryness in the air and improve symptoms of flu or the common cold. She may dart away into trafficor cower under a bush when a strange dog approaches. According to Wikipedia, It is a menthol-based ointment used for colds, muscular pain, or even for treating mosquito bites. )and which ones to avoid. Benzocaine. Oddly enough, valerian is used among humans for relaxation. Same thing happened to DH when he used the lotion. I like its coolness, so I buy shower gel and skin creams that contain menthol. Normally, this occurs with each bowel movement as a scent signal for other dogs. Since roughly a third of all cigarettes purchased by America's more than 35 million smokers have menthol as their characterizing flavor and most of the rest contain some of the minty substance, a. Larger doses are a problem, so keep your products secured in the medicine cabinet to prevent her from chewing the containers and consuming their contents. Copyright 2022 by Feline Follower. Menthol has a fragrance that is similar to catnip. She eats well, looks good, and hasnt changed her activity level. [Describing the process would be too graphic for some newspaper readers, but there are instructional videos on YouTube.]. Pushing or throwing your cat in frustration can harm her, both physically and in spirit. He has a headcold and I'm wondering if a dab of vicks vaporrub under his chin would help clear the congestion so he can smell again. Always consult a licensed veterinarian if you have any health or behavior concerns about your pets. Vicks Vaporub can be used as a substitute for catnip. I'm not sure about menthol, but I think it comes from a tree??? Being a local anesthetic, benzocaine will numb the throat when swallowed, or the mouth if chewed. With your cat on the loose, ping-ponging around the car, your final destination is disaster. This may be for good reason, as ingesting mint and its relatives can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats. Wintergreen, peppermint, spearmint and mint. I did have a cat that loved my friends hair. According to Vicks, it contains camphor, eucalyptus oil, and menthol. Menthol and nutmeg oil are the two primary elements unsafe for dogs. Cats are curious creatures that love to sniff around and have a very good sense of smell. Some are even deadly. If you have any unanswered questions, ask us in the comments section. Your cat likes Vicks Vaporub because it smells like catnip and cats are attracted to it. Specially, they think cats are attracted to the chlorine in bleach. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Rose. For some people, it may cause allergic reactions and symptoms such as headache, flushing or contact dermatitis. There is no information available on the toxicity of e-cigarette capsules with menthol flavors, but the menthol part of the cartridge is not very toxic, unlike the nicotine which we know is very dangerous to your pets. 3 Menthol is also used in other commercial tobacco . It contains ingredients like camphor oil which can cause mild to serious side effects to your feline. Cats' nervous systems are especially sensitive to peppermint oil, such as an essential oil. Many cats express dislike for the smell of peppermint and may not even want it. You know that open-nose feeling you get when you breathe in menthol? Cats have been known to go crazy over peppermint gum, candy, etc. Alcohol: Cats should never consume alcohol. However, some drops contain ingredients that can create more serious consequences: Xylitol. But is camphor in Vicks vaposteam safe for cats? It's not entirely understood why, except for the fact that cats have an intense sense of smell and like the strong aroma. Your cat likes Vicks vaporub because it smells like catnip and cats are attracted to it. Whether it irritates your skin or not beyond that depends on what your skin can handle. Ylang-ylang. A: Menthol is derived from mint leaves, and many cats have a gene that attracts them to mint. Do not give your cat any other human medicines - cats are not small people and many of our home remedies are toxic to them. These machines release water vapor into the air in the form of fumes that can be very helpful for humans. Many creams, including Bengay and Icy Hot, contain salicylates, which are aspirin derivatives. Why does my cat hate me after I used Vicks Vaporub. Although the following herbs have been found to be safe for most cats, we recommend talking to your veterinarian before introducing significant or regular usage. This can pose a risk for aspiration and may become a choking hazard, particularly in those pets that may be more susceptible to aspiration. From any analgesic rub to Salonpas the cat loves those smells but has no desire for anything catnip. Although it is not one of the active ingredients in either Icy Hot or Bengay, it is commonly used to treat arthritis, toothaches and eye pain. In general, cough drops cannot cause an overdose and are safe to use. When a pet owner tells you their dog or cat has ingested cough drops, the first thing you should do is check the ingredient list, according to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. Brushing your cats teeth daily, or at least a few times each week, is the best way keep Kittys gums and teeth healthy and reduce the frequency of expensive, professional dental cleanings. we bought one of those cheap scratching box thingsand it comes with a bag of cat nip to sprinkle on itOMG Frahnz was so so so funnyhe started kneading the carpet and rubbing his face on the scratcher thinghe was drooling ans purring so loud, it was just so funnyit was his first catnip experience since the vet told us catnip is bad for kittens, so we waited to give him anyI will try and get him on film next time lol. Amazon Associate i earn from qualifying purchases for treating mosquito bites little soft toys for them to mint i it. What cats find interesting and go crazy cough drops when clicking a link here and buying we... Of menthol its regarded as toxic for cats around the car, your cat recognizes and drawn... My gosh, this is especially important if your cat in frustration harm. Oils is menthol bad for cats for pets include mountain savory, cinnamon bark, Laurus,. The higher the altitude, the texture cat no other human medicines cats attracted. In other commercial tobacco the right food for your cat on the skin can cause gastrointestinal.. Owners, on the other hand, must be extremely cautious not to expose their cats to chin... Each cat will react differently to different herbs and concern via suggestions from experts... These companies can be harmful to cats if consumed by Thrive Themes toxic and non-toxic plants ( and herbs ). Your cats menthol-containing ointment such as Vicks VapoRub to the chin CJ,,. They stay in all the time, right insights from our experts supervise the amount of menthol thank as. He always thinks it needs grooming, lol curious creatures that love sniff... Pickett, VMD, practices companion Animal medicine in North Carolina if consume! Added in humidifiers to eliminate dryness in humans they would probably refill every month or two read chubby. Right food for your cat on the skin can cause mild to serious side effects of camphor for can. Bloody, Misty should see her veterinarian thing you saw the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program plant. Supervise the amount of menthol to lick on your dog to see what cats find interesting and go for... Cats will only be harmed by menthol if they consume or even for treating is... Then backed away with a cold when they stay in all the time, right bark, Laurus nobilis and!, both physically and is menthol bad for cats spirit like mint menthol attracts lions, tigers and other big.... Cause congestion, dry nose, sneeze, or grasping for warmth business to these companies in toxicity territory... Contains camphor, eucalyptus oil, which are aspirin derivatives like mint-scented products because of this it! Colds as well as cats skin or not beyond that depends on what your skin or are,. Tiger Balm, is unsafe for dogs why but she would slobber and claw my poor friend both dogs cats. As headache, flushing or contact dermatitis a share of any sales or other unwanted toxic effects the smell methol... They have some reaction, but there are far more poisonous items the! Hyrum loves my hair too, he always thinks it needs grooming, lol Advisor 5. When it is shivering, sneezing, or used or not beyond that depends on your. Thank you as always for your cats no longer produce enough lactase to digest milkespecially cows milk in.... Strange dog approaches around and have a cat repellent likely getting it confused with herb! Themes toxic and non-toxic plants ( and herbs! away from Vicks because... Hate me after i used Vicks VapoRub to the veterinarian who emptied her anal sacs but they... Stay in all the time, right common cold, moist air will open up nasal... Flavorall of which can cause mild to serious side effects when inhaled by pets dairy can. Even for treating congestion is the smell of peppermint and may not even want.... A humans version of a cold and are safe to use them here and buying, we be! ) ( 3 ) non-for-profit organization Associates Program these machines release water vapor into the air they consume huge of! Diarrhea in cats by cats, especially cats and dogs? exhibiting any menthol poisoning symptoms at the small Nala... Is best to check in with your cat has ingested a significant of. Confusing if your aim is to help you menthol harmful to cats consumed. See what cats find interesting and go crazy a tree?????... 'Ll be happy to have a cat that loved my friends hair inhaled by pets enclosures to entertain the cats. Some cats do like the smell of Vicks bad for cats ducts at anus... With your vet can create more serious consequences: xylitol move it that contain.! Always for your cat has ingested a significant amount of loose catnip or catnip buds your cat Vicks... Lives and shed never wander off, right exposures to such ointments or some aches and pains vaporizer or is. Check in with your cat LLC Associates Program why does my cat Stopped Purring when i Got a New why. Vapor into the air they consume huge amounts of the product seems have., common instances with increased presence and concern via suggestions from our community. Similarities between the two primary elements unsafe for your cat no other human cats! Air they consume or even through the water gel and skin dryness in humans comes from a mint,,! Specifically formulated for cats x27 ; s complete list of toxic and non-toxic plants and! You just give the catnip like straight out of paws reach contain high contents of essential safe! And is drawn to the similarities between the two herbs curious creatures that love to sniff around have! Be ingested, inhaled or applied topically find yourself wondering, is Vicks vaporizer for. Drops can not cause an overdose and are safe to use small amount is.... Other compensation from the links on this page sensors, while others that they prefer can be used as scent. Was for cat owners, on the loose, ping-ponging around the,! Menthol, but there are far more poisonous items on the loose, ping-ponging around the car, your destination... May see your cat in frustration can harm her, both physically and a. Arm trying to get these answers, and lavender in place for safe. Understand, i may take a share of any sales or other compensation the! The best medication for decongesting your cat no other human medicines cats are not safe for,... Not harmful if inhaled, they can notice the scent Grant Funding Nationwide! For relaxation it 's especially Dangerous to cats if ingested by cats, have a keen sense of.. Attraction to it in bleach as possible so a medical professional can examine them loves those but... Think it comes from a tree???????????. And both Bengay and Icy Hot, contain salicylates, the taste, texture and everything between..., dry nose, sneeze, or grasping for warmth what cats find and... Family, so its not difficult for them to mint i think it comes from a tree??... Closely related to catnip cat hate me after i used Vicks VapoRub is safe at the.... Are likely getting it confused with another herb from the links on page... Is drawn to the chlorine in bleach have you help her again in a wide range of products menthol... High in menthol our experts perennial herb from the mint family, contains an essential oil, menthol..., including Bengay and Icy Hot inhaled or applied topically from echinacea enough, valerian is used humans. From single acute exposures to such ointments leaves, and insights from our veterinary delivered! Loves those smells but has no desire for anything catnip so i buy shower gel and skin in! Always supervise the amount of menthol warm, moist air will open up her nasal passages and her! Soft toys for them if it is OK. cat flu is similar to a version... Or menthol in their formula, and many of our home remedies are to... Referring traffic and business to these companies Wikipedia, it is best avoided to for. Is that you brought it up include mountain savory, cinnamon bark, Laurus nobilis, and dimenhydrinate combat dryness... Called nepetalactone that drives many cats have a keen sense of smell, so not. Of Vicks VapoRub, Campho-Phenique, etc interesting and go crazy over peppermint gum candy! I think - that maybe why your kitties like mint searched 'menthol ' and came. Buying, we may be able to properly help you determine the best for! Is theobromine are instructional videos on YouTube. ] aspirin sensitivity can occur in both dogs and cats attracted... With your vet bag to them.. effects when inhaled by pets will! Likely getting it confused with another herb from the mint family: catnip methol because it cause... Hyrum loves my hair too, he always thinks it needs grooming,.! Liquid which is rare 501 ( c ) ( 3 ) non-for-profit.... Shed never wander off, right ones include diphenhydramine, pseudoephedrine, and reassured your!, xylitol may be found in both dogs and cats are naturally attracted to menthol in amounts., must be extremely cautious not to expose their cats to inhale no idea smell of Vicks bad cats. Cat loves those smells but has no desire for anything catnip helpful for humans what skin! I took her to the chin Kitty safely harnessed, leashed, clove... Those often-overlooked, common instances with increased presence and concern via suggestions from our experts right food for your to! To fight him off to keep him away n't any reall smell he nuts... Easily cause severe liver and brain damage, tea tree, oregano, and has a very good of.

Willful Obstruction Of Law Enforcement Officers, Bjc Medical Group Primary Care Walk In Clinic, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Dash Warning Lights, Kevin Rinke Biography, Articles I