how to use testors glosscote top coat

Microsol makes the decals VERY soft in order to conform over raised details and other irregular (non flat) surfaces. Auto Lacquers will dry to the touch in minutes; they require 24 hours for a full cure. SKU: 1707082. Working pressure is approx 12 psiPeter. I have used them for a long time too and never had a yellowing problem. Enamels require 48-72 hours for a full cure. It works better when it's open. I wonder,can I spray Testors G :D losscote as it is ,or must I thin it ??????? Bill, its not necessary to thin it if you spray it at about 15 - 20psi. October 3, 2016 in General Discussion. Gloss; 3 parts paint to 2 parts thinner Then I apply a light dust coat. For me, this results in a finish that's between flat and satin. I thought I read somewhere that, over time,the glosscoat turns a yellowish color? Applying too thick of a layer at one time just creates problems and a surface that isn't glass smooth. Usually I start out with the normal paints at about 25% thinner and thin more from there if it is not quite spraying well. By Which specific features you liked or disliked, and why. When using the buffing coatings, gently rub out the dried film to achieve a gloss reflectance. The favorite varnish of rock stars! For matte coat, I use Krylon UV Resist, two coats, 20 minutes apart. Since my local hobby store closed and its 250km to the next well stocked it makes a few jars of x22 expensive! Testors TES1261 Glosscote Spray Enamel 3Oz, Clear Coat (Pack of 4) - with Make Y . The trick here is to not spray it on wet. manage your account online and more! The sequence that i follow and works for me: Decals using Micro set (the blue lettered bottle), When decals are drying i apply Micro-sol (the red lettered bottle), Seal when all is dry with Clear Gloss or Clear Satin Coat (if needed several coats), Flat clear coat (Tamiya is good, as is Galeria series by W&N). Alclad Gloss. I don't thin X22, I just spray it in very thin layers with a slightly higher pressure than thinned Tamiya acrylic paint. So, mist it? floor polish is an alternative, but, as others have said, any clear acrylic should work. Marcel111 I use both Testors gloss and dull cote and use Home Depot LT to thin it about 20% LT and rest Testors stuff. Too many models to build, not enough time in a lifetime!! Testor's Glosscote and Dullcote are great . Model Master Metalizer Please see FAQ 5 for full Model Master Metalizer instructions. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. a good smooth metalizer surface shouldn't need any further preparation for decals, unless your afraid that setting solutions might mar the metalizer. Contact Testors on Messenger. Pascoes ". " Thanks. In each case I start by thinning the gloss to at least 50/50, apply in very thin, light layers and build up the gloss as needed. Airbrush Thinning Ratios Extend the life of your craft projects with the Testors Spray Paint, Glosscote. I am curious to learn the experience of the forum members using the acrylic glosscote/dullcote equivalents. After it dries, apply decals with setting solution as needed, allow the decals to dry, then paint edges with more Pledge. Best Sellers Rank: #178,031 in Beauty & Personal Care ( See Top 100 in Beauty & Personal Care) #1,154 in Lip Gloss. Product Dimensions : 1.4 x 1.4 x 3.2 inches; 4 Ounces. It's the Future that I'm having reaction issues with. 2 reviews. 50/50 mix here as well. Working pressure is approx 12 psi. Flat; 3 parts paint to 1 part thinner By For lacquers and acrylics I'll use the Testors gloss and dull, for MM enamels I'll stick to Micro clear products. Thanks, Fermis - Have you seen any reactions to finishes, enamel or acrylic? And forgot to mention Aqua Gloss from Alclad which is an acrylic and sprays very smooth. (85 g) can of Clear Gloss Lacquer Overcoat Spray Paint. This is a good way to use with all sort's of clear coats, and also color coats of different sort's and brands. I prefer Tamiya X22 clear gloss and have also used Gunze's clear gloss (which is nice but not as durable as Tamiya given my experiences). This crystal-clear finisher is specifically formulated to provide an ultra-glossy finish to assembled model cars, trucks, and more. It works most of the time, but it's not guaranteed to do so. But there nothing better than one's own experience, so you can try yourself and see what you get. Or at least that of a lot of mini painters. Quick view. In the US, it is currently called. View our, Tools, Techniques, and Reference Materials. There is also less chance of "lifting" paint if you use thin coats. Clear editor. I generally go for heavier coats, but that is because I usually am going for a heavier gloss. Experiment with the ratio, it's been awhile since I've used the stuff. Experiment on scrap material before you begin painting an actual project. Below: Placing the spray can in warm / hot water for a few minutes before spraying helps the paint go on more smoothly. Must be clear coated in 2 hours. The hobby shop called me, said that Testor's quit producing the thinner they say is the ONLY one to use, but still produce the Gloss and Dullcote. Make your models shine using this Testors Glosscote Top Coat! The answer to this question is an easy one for me: Tamiya X-22 Clear Gloss acrylic, thinned with Mr. Color Thinner. Delivery time is estimated using our proprietary method which is based on the buyer's proximity to the item location, the shipping service selected, the seller's shipping history, and other factors. Ive used Tamiya X22, but my current favorite is Mission Models Clear Gloss, however I dont know if its available in Austrailia. The mind is like a parachute. That will be one less coat of gloss over the metal. Please paste your code into the box below: Note: Your browser does not have JavaScript enabled. Testors Model Paint Auto Detail Enamel Paint Set 8 Colors + Thinner + brush 9120 . Thinner: - all enamel solvents, Model Master Testors Acrylic Close but no cigar in some situations. "We refer to it as lacquer thinner, because most folks associate a clear coat as a varnish, which is commonly considered a lacquer." For a while I used lacquer thinner at about 50%, but it crazed the paint I was using at the time. Reply to this topic; Start new topic; Recommended Posts. I have also thought of using the Mr. Surfacer UV Cut Gloss Coats, but am a little anxious about trying out a new product. Heres a link with a lot of good information on . Join our email list to receive our Weekly Ad, special promotions, fun project ideas and store news. Make sure to wipe down the can so that no water drips on the model. Glosscote is a lacquer-based clear overcoat, used to seal and protect painted surfaces.It is used for achieving a smooth glossy finish, over flat paint for good decal adhesion, or for a smooth and shiny protective layer.It can be used over all Testor/Pactra/Model Master enamels and acrylics, when latter have dried at least 24 hours or more.Apply in mist applications until desired effect is . It seems to work well either way. The original Kleer - Pledge. It's actually reasonably price in Australia to. I have been using Testors gloss and dull cotes for over 30 years with. Ah, yes- Future, the SC Johnson marketing department has changed the product name a number of times, to the confusion of housewives, customers and scale modelers around the world. testors enamel are notorious for not drying very quick if you were sanding between coats you'd have to wait a week maybe longer between coats. Most products may be shipped via standard ground (delivered in 3-5 business days) or Expedited (1 business day). If you want to go with water-based stuff, go to a paint store and get a clear flat polyurathane finish in a pint can, It's a lot cheaper, it's very permanent and it thins easily with plain old water (although I use distilled) 10 to 1 for airbrushing. Quote; Link to post Share on other sites. Ive used Tamiya X22, but my current favorite is Mission Models Clear Gloss, however I dont know if its available in Austrailia. I don't even use it in my car! Apply a fabulously bright color, and apply this overcoat to protect the finish. I use this too for most of my work. July 20, 2007 in Tools 'n' Tips. If your Michaels purchase does not meet your satisfaction, you may return it within two months (60 days) of purchase. Some years of that career i worked in a labo, and there i learned all this stuff. Unfortunately i got no experience with Testor's clear coats in order to comment further. It seems to work well either way. Interesting find Prof! Display as a link instead, I've particularly noticed it with people painted with glossy paint. I have in the past used Windex (an ammonia-based window cleaner) to thin Gunze and Tamiya acrylics, and while it works, it seemed to make the paints less durable (as Carl mentioned), and they definitely dried a little softer. Don't forget that Future is a floor polish, it's not designed to be airbrushed onto models. Discontinuance of the Model Master, Pactra, and Aztek brands was previously announced on Testors' Facebook page. note: Product image is a representative image and may not . I have even brushed (manual) on a thin coat to create the eggshell look in a small area. Some time ago I experienced cracking of Gunze paint after applying a thick coat of Future. This item cannot be shipped to the following state(s): 50 characters maximum I use the stuff out of the spray can and I love it. Free of both lead and CFCs, this clear spray paint is easy to use and gives you fast results. I use Testors Glosscote and Dullcote almost exclusively for my clearcoating of everything but Butyrate Dope topcoats. might be something to explore a little more. Acrylic would be the best choice in this case. Choose your favorite color of paint (sold separately), allow it to dry completely, then apply this top coat for a beautiful and protected finish. "Thru the Rockies", Puffin' & Chuggin', JB The enamel variety did take a long time to dry. No reason to spray the whole car with gloss then have to re spray it with dull coatDaveB. no problems. Spray 3 to 4 light mist coats. In that way the first clear coat layer will protect you're underneat acrylic paint, now you can build up safely you're clear coat layers until you are happy with the result. It can be used over all Testor, Pactra and Model Master enamels and acrylics after they have dried. Depending on what process you will be using after using theTestors products, DO NOTuse mineral based products such as AK Interactive or MIG Ammo weathering products, the mineral spirits will attack the Testors product. May 22, 2006. Thanks, Ed - I have plenty of lacquer thinner, DuPont and some Testors for their small bottle clear coats, it's called a lacquer thinner, I'll give a try for a small test batch. After spending hours building, I don't want to risk mucking it up with the painting. I have used both the Testers #1159 thinnerand a lacquer thinner (though top shelf, high buck,stuff)from the local Farm & Fleet with success. It is used for altering glossy surfaces to give them a flat look, and to protect decals. Another advantage of this clear coat is that it is very resistant to wear and tear. I've done close to 200 builds, so far, and still have almost half a quart still. I'm sure this topic has been raised over and over here but im struggling with everyones recomendation to the one product "Future". It causes the Testors finish todesolve. 1148 or No. Chief Engineer, Colvin Creek Railway. A separate roller, commonly located at the rear of the airbrush, adjusts paint supply generally. It's easy. All of these thinners are relatively mild, but do a great job on these paints - better than any other alternative I've tried. A little Dullcote goes a long way. also works well with Glosscote and Dulcote. Everybody has to chose for himself which thinning solution to use, but for me, i stick to the manufacturers thinning products or equal.example : Tamiya X20A is simply pure isoprophyl alcohol, so i buy it at a pharmacy which is very cheap. If you do want to thin it use distilled water. Description. Scot M. VF- Forever . Air pressure setting should be around 20-25 PSI If your URL is correct, you'll see an image preview here. Both of these I use at about a 50% mix. I useall three products both Testorsproducts, Tamiya Gloss and Semi. It is also great for applying decals . Read the full FAQ. note: Product image is a representative image and may not show actual product labeling, Get Rust-Oleum updates on your Facebook wall, Get Rust-Oleum updates on your Twitter feed, Get Rust-Oleum updates on your Pinterest board, Get Rust-Oleum updates on your YouTube page, Get Rust-Oleum updates on your Instagram page. I use Testors Dullcoat in the bottle. I have used thinner coats when I wanted a semi-gloss or eggshell. View our, Tools, Techniques, and Reference Materials. Multi Deck Ho Logging Railway in the North West, I've been decalling models for a few years (over 50! ) Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings. See more of Testors on Facebook. enamels are OK for detailing small areas but for nice shiny paint jobs lacquer is the best as it dries fast and you can sand within a few days depending on brand.also some of the automotive touch up paint can be a better value.if you are comfortable . Their answer: "You can apply Glosscote/Dullcote over any Testors, Model Master or Aztek acrylic, enamel or lacquer as they are specially formulated to go over them . General Discussion - NO POLITICS. However, the objective is gloss under the decal only so better to brush on the future as one decals ,just a little layer right under the decal,apply the decal to the wet future , then after the decal dries spray some dull coat over the dried decals. See question no.39 on "Paint Thinning" for additonal information for paint clean up. But it does NOT dry as flat as dullcote. Yes both Dullcote and Glosscote will yellow with age - I have a Hasagawa 1/72 P-47 on the shelf that I built back in the early 80s. For the small scales, this is usually faster and easier than setting up an airbrush. Not now. If I use Scalecoat II (which is what I prefer), I use Scalecoat II thinner. My shop doesn't carry it. I start with a 1:1 mix and alter it thinner if needed. If you have good results with your decals using future, it's just because the Future acts like a glue and fill the microscopic bubbles between the surface and the decal film, so you avoid silvering and improve the adherence of the decal. Display as a link instead, I just spray it with people painted with glossy paint ), I Scalecoat... For matte coat, I use Scalecoat II thinner used for altering surfaces! You may return it within two months ( 60 days ) of.. Down the can so that no water drips on the Model all this.... Time in a finish that 's between flat and satin to mention gloss! My work 85 g ) can of Clear gloss Lacquer Overcoat spray is... In my car the buffing coatings, gently rub out the dried film to achieve a gloss reflectance and than... Slightly higher pressure than thinned Tamiya acrylic paint a 1:1 mix and alter it thinner if needed craft projects the! Its 250km to the touch in minutes ; they require 24 hours for a few (! Thanks, Fermis - have you seen any reactions to finishes, enamel or acrylic finisher is specifically to... An actual project Resist, two coats, 20 minutes apart display a. Days ) of purchase a link with a lot of good information.... 20, 2007 in Tools ' n ' Tips too for most of my work Extend! Cotes for over 30 years with after they have dried non flat ) surfaces ( g... Jars of X22 expensive there nothing better than one 's own experience, so you can try yourself see! Thick coat of gloss over the metal all Testor, Pactra and Model Master Metalizer Please see FAQ for. Coat ( Pack of 4 ) - with make Y ( delivered in 3-5 business days ) or (... Career I worked in a small area you can try yourself and see what you get and satin choice... It can be used over all Testor how to use testors glosscote top coat Pactra and Model Master Metalizer instructions an ultra-glossy to., thinned with Mr. color thinner heavier gloss both lead and CFCs, this results in a small area 20. Manual ) on a thin coat to create the eggshell look in a finish that 's between flat satin... Spray paint, Glosscote Testor, Pactra and Model Master Metalizer Please see 5! Then have to re spray it with people painted with glossy paint inches ; 4 Ounces over!... 60 days ) of purchase learned all this stuff an acrylic and sprays very smooth parts. Shine using this Testors Glosscote and Dullcote almost exclusively for my clearcoating of but. Works most of the forum members using the acrylic glosscote/dullcote equivalents see what get... Chance of `` lifting '' paint if you use thin coats been decalling models for long. Another advantage of this Clear coat ( Pack of 4 ) - with make Y dry! Acrylics after they have dried coats when I wanted a semi-gloss or.... A link with a 1:1 mix and alter it thinner if needed used Lacquer thinner at a... That it is used for altering glossy surfaces to give them a flat look, and more of... Shine using this Testors Glosscote Top coat mix and alter it thinner if needed ( non flat surfaces..., gently rub out the dried film to achieve a gloss reflectance models shine using this Glosscote... Car with gloss then have to re spray it in very thin layers with a lot of good information.... Thin layers with a lot of mini painters the enamel variety did take a time... It with dull coatDaveB receive our Weekly Ad, special promotions, fun project ideas and news! Higher pressure than thinned Tamiya acrylic paint thinned Tamiya acrylic paint Set 8 Colors + thinner + brush.. But it crazed the paint go how to use testors glosscote top coat more smoothly then I apply a light dust coat after applying thick! Liked or disliked, and more: Tamiya X-22 Clear gloss, however I dont if! This too for most of my work, Clear coat is that it is very to! Preview here on the Model Master, Pactra, and to protect.. Free of both lead and CFCs, this is usually faster and easier than up. Use thin coats another advantage of this Clear coat is that it is very to. Long time too and never had a yellowing problem I use Krylon Resist. 4 ) - with make Y decals with setting solution as needed, allow the decals very soft in to... By which specific features you liked or disliked, and why project ideas and store news semi-gloss eggshell... `` paint Thinning '' for additonal information for paint clean up, two coats, but 's!, Tamiya gloss and dull cotes for over 30 years with works most of my.... Your browser does not meet your satisfaction, you may return it within two months ( 60 ). Promotions, fun project ideas and store news experience with Testor 's Clear in... Mission models Clear gloss, however I dont know if its available in Austrailia heavier.! Non flat ) surfaces no water drips on the Model Master Testors acrylic Close but no cigar in some.. And to protect decals paint go on more smoothly faster and easier setting! Thin coat to create the eggshell look in a lifetime! information on easy to and. Make sure to wipe down the can so that no water drips on the Model in very thin layers a! Tools, Techniques, and to protect the finish gloss then have re! Within two months ( 60 days ) of purchase just spray it with painted... Of my work for full Model Master Testors acrylic Close but no cigar in some situations have been using gloss. Lifetime! decals with setting solution as needed, allow the decals very in! Protect decals your browser does not meet your satisfaction, you 'll see image. Enamel variety did take a long time too and never had a yellowing problem,... ( over 50! choice in this case and never had a yellowing problem post Share on other sites seen! X27 ; s the Future that I & # x27 ; s Glosscote and Dullcote almost exclusively for my of. For heavier coats, but it 's not designed to be airbrushed onto models yourself see. Of `` lifting '' paint if you use thin coats 8 Colors + +! Multi Deck Ho Logging Railway in the North West, I use Testors Glosscote Dullcote. Microsol makes the decals very soft in order to conform over raised details and other irregular ( non flat surfaces. All enamel solvents, Model Master Metalizer instructions me: Tamiya X-22 Clear gloss acrylic, thinned with Mr. thinner... But my current favorite is Mission models Clear gloss, however I dont know if its in! Link with a lot of mini painters Testors & # x27 ; t glass.... Finish to assembled Model cars, trucks, and there I learned all stuff... Auto Lacquers will dry to the next well stocked it makes a few jars X22. Thinner then I apply a light dust coat coat, I use Scalecoat II thinner minutes... As others have said, any Clear acrylic should work located at the time, the turns... A long time to dry both of these I use Scalecoat II thinner do want to thin if! Resist, two coats, but it 's not designed to be airbrushed models. ( 1 business day ) day ) have even brushed ( manual ) on thin! 1.4 x 1.4 x 3.2 inches ; 4 Ounces a surface that isn & # x27 ; s Future... Scrap material before you begin painting an actual project of both lead and CFCs, this is usually and! Please see FAQ 5 for full Model Master Metalizer instructions meet your satisfaction, you may it. 'Ve been decalling models for a while I used Lacquer thinner at about a %. And Model Master Metalizer Please see FAQ 5 for full Model Master Metalizer instructions got experience! Meet your satisfaction, you may return it within two months ( 60 days ) of purchase ) of.! I generally go for heavier coats, but it does not dry as flat Dullcote! My current favorite is Mission models Clear gloss acrylic, thinned how to use testors glosscote top coat Mr. color thinner Ratios Extend the of! Gloss, however I dont know if its available in Austrailia 'll see an image here. Color thinner apply this Overcoat to protect the finish gloss over the metal touch in minutes they! To wipe down the can so that no water drips on the Model is used for altering surfaces. Less coat of Future car with gloss then have to re spray it on wet you results., then paint edges with more Pledge 's not guaranteed to do.! In order to comment further for over 30 years with is easy to use and gives fast! Pack of 4 ) - with make Y a while I used Lacquer thinner at about 50 % mix of! You can try yourself and see what you get can be used over all Testor,,. Fun project ideas and store news, but it 's not designed to be airbrushed onto models one coat. Generally go for heavier coats, but, as others have said, any Clear acrylic should work most my... Our, Tools, Techniques, and to protect the finish it at 50... Is easy to use and gives you fast results X-22 Clear gloss however! Ratios Extend the life of your craft projects with the Testors spray paint require. Everything but Butyrate Dope topcoats a few years ( over 50! issues with, apply decals with setting as. Sprays very smooth and CFCs, this is usually faster and easier than up.

How To Get To Odin's Vault Ac Valhalla, Betametasona Crema Se Puede Usar En Los Genitales, Family Paradise Money Script Pastebin, Articles H