ermelinda flores arroyo grande

Lives in: Arroyo Grande CA. My heart dropped, she said. Often, Sarah would be at one party or another and there was Flores. But Margarita says, the police did not seem concerned. During one interrogation with campus police on May 28, 1996, Flores story changed about what happened after Anderson left. She spotted an ad for a rental that a woman named Susan Flores had put in. First published on November 27, 2020 / 8:14 AM. He's going to find her body, which is awful for a parent. But the Flores's have fought back, suing the Smarts for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. He says they are Ruben's ex-wife Susan and her boyfriend. Sarah said shes still haunted by Flores. Jane said she took Flores up on carpool offers to and from high school whenever she would be walking solo from her mothers home in Arroyo Grande, California. 1996 was before the #MeToo movement, Peuvrelle told the jury. Since speaking with The Daily Beast, at least one of the women who has come forward saying Flores attacked her has been questioned by a detective working the Smart case. They asked him not to use their names: PODCAST EPISODE 2 | WOMAN #1: Well his nickname was "Scary Paul.". most importantly they wanna find their daughter. Chris Lambert: I remember seeing it on the news it was something scary and they were talking about it pretty regularly. Meanwhile, the FBI, who recently excavated earth at Cal Poly to look for Smarts remains, referred comment to the sheriffs office. Mary Lassiter says the earring she found in the driveway matched the necklace Kristin Smart is seen wearing on this billboard. PODCAST EPISODE 4: And he had like a butter knife and he like held it to my neck. That warrant allowed them to dig up the backyard, but deputies chose not to excavate. Any tidbit of information or recollection could make the difference in the recovery of our beloved Kristin., disappearance of another woman under almost identical circumstances: Kristin Smart. And I was like, "nah, I have to study." Prosecutors said Smart began falling down shortly after she was seen at the Tiki bar with Flores. And yes, we did find physical evidence at, at least two homes. But to fully understand Chris Lambert's contribution, you have to go back to the beginning. The fact is, there is a lot of sort of evidence. I say that because you will see, when you actually listen to what comes out, its not what it seems to be, Sanger said. But cadaver dogs told a different story. (The office hired a detective in 2015 to work on Unsolved Crimes for $15,000 a month: There are four open homicide investigations and Smarts remains an unsolved missing persons case. But Sarah kneed Flores in the groin and kicked him in the shin before dashing off into the party. She saw Paul taking Kristin toward his dorm to the left, the prosecutor said. The detective noticed was Paul was nervous and his heart was beating out of his chest. It is every parent's worst nightmare. He threw [my cousin] to the ground and got on top of her and putting his hands down her top even after he got his wallet. I have this PTSD fear of someone kicking the door in.. And had law enforcement drilled a handful of holes in Floress mothers backyard to search for evidence that Smart might be buried there, perhaps Floress alleged serial sexual assaults would have been prevented. No-no-no. She spent a summer in London, was an exchange student in Venezuela, and a lifeguard at a camp in Hawaii. / CBS News. Ann-Marie Christian: became friends with Kristin in elementary school. Chris Lambert: It's mostly frat guys from the Kappa Chi fraternity. By the end of the evening she was found passed out on the lawn next door and needed help to get back to the dorm. James Murphy: Paul Flores had a reputation amongst the girls that knew him at Cal Poly as being a creeper that he was always trying to hit on women. But as Chris Lambert learned, campus police did not act right away. . Margarita Campos: I was, like, "Kristin, I'm going to go back home. Neither the ex-boyfriend nor Sarah saw Flores again until they read The Daily Beast story on Kristin Smarts disappearance, where Floress mugshot appeared. Stop! and then it became Stop!!!!!. The dogs handler said one dog went screaming down the hallway, made a U-turn, and stopped right in front of (Flores) dorm room, the prosecutor said. Margarita Campos: To this day, like, I was like, why why did I just let her go by herself? Now several women say they were victims before and after her, too. Mary Lassiter says the earring she found in the driveway matched the necklace Kristin Smart is seen wearing on this billboard. As she told Chris Lambert, "In the master bedroom, I'm hearing this 'beep beep' every night at 4:20, or 4:20 in the morning." It sounded like a digital watch alarm, but Lassiter couldn't find a watch anywhere outside. The Kristin Smart disappearance: After 26 years, Paul Flores is convicted of murder. Also known as Melinda E Flores. I guess the answer is yes. By the time they inspected Flores's room, Kristin had been gone for 16 days. In March 2021, the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office served a search warrant at the Arroyo Grande home of Ruben Flores. Stan and Denise Smart, Kristins parents, sent The Daily Beast a statement praising the women for coming forward to share their stories and hope it leads to a break in their missing daughters case. That witness initially came forward to Chris Lambert, who passed the information to the sheriff's office and Murphy. Murphy and his wife, Garin Sinclair, agreed to take the case pro bono promising to go after Paul Flores and put pressure on the sheriff's office. A now-retired FBI agent believes those remains were once buried at the home of Floress mother. The investigation seemed to be hampered from the start by a series of missteps by campus police beginning with their assumption that Kristin was off having fun and ignoring worried friends who said she was missing. Lambert says Kristin could not stand on her own, so fellow student Cheryl Anderson who was also at the party began helping her back to campus. That mother, Mary Lassiter, described it to Chris Lambert. Like what may have been discovered in March 2021 when investigators searched Ruben Flores' house using cadaver dogs and ground penetrating radar. Kristin Denise Smart (born February 20, 1977, legally presumed dead May 25, 2002) was an American woman who is presumed to have been abducted, raped, and killed at the end of her freshman year of college on the campus of California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo. Any evidence that might have been there was long gone. They believe they can prove Paul Flores is responsible for the disappearance of Kristin Smart. Thats when everyone got involved, she said. As of this date, Paul is single. Davis was helping Smart get up to her feet with Anderson when Flores suddenly appeared out from the darkness, Peuvrelle said. In high school he was known as a loner. It's fine. Margarita Campos: She was absolutely sober when I left her. Chris Lambert: It's hard to take too much credit But I was one piece of the puzzle that helped to make this all come together when it did. James Murphy: Somebody found an earring that they say was Kristin Smart's jewelry in the driveway. Ruben Flores, 80, has been booked on an accessory charge and is being held on $250,000 bail. Chris Lambert: They're hopeful, but they've also been let down so many times before. Denise Pearce | Longtime family friend: Things were gonna get better and, you know, and and they did. Jonathan Vigliotti: How did you know she hadn't been back? He was required to wear an electronic ankle bracelet. He believes that meant "the batteries went dead and that the object that was beeping hadn't been there very long.". In the meantime, Paul Flores moved to Southern California, where he bounced from job to job. Jonathan Vigliotti: How significant was that? As they soon learned, she had ended up at a party at an off-campus house. every piece of evidence points directly at Paul Flores. Despite Flores sporting a black eye the next day (which he admitted to investigators he lied about) and despite police dogs picking up the scent of human decay in his dorm room, Flores was never charged. However hard she and her father fought back, there was no chance they were going to get beyond the he said, she said. I was drunk and he had a witness and I didnt, Jane said. I called my mom. And she was growing as an individual. Paul Flores, then also a 19-year-old freshman, had . A popular true-crime podcast, Your Own Backyard, revived public interest in Smarts disappearance. James Murphy: The question for decades was "Well, where did the body go?". Jonathan Vigliotti: She had just 40 yards to go and yet she vanished. She was she was frantic I don't understand this, you know? I dont like to talk about it to even him, she said. How could she have gone out of town? San Luis Obispo County. Lambert also interviewed a woman who dated Flores until, she says, he became physically and verbally abusive. James Murphy: Every day. I was crying.. Paul Flores - Cal Poly student and Food Science major, Paul Flores lived on campus in room #128 of Santa Lucia Hall Dormitory. Chris Lambert was just 8 years old when Kristin Smart vanished on her way home from a college party in San Luis Obispo, California. Copyright 2023 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. Garland testifies before Senate panel amid ongoing special counsel probes, Colon cancer rates rising in younger age group, study finds, Firefighter dies battling blaze in downtown Buffalo, mayor says, Prosecution wraps its case at Alex Murdaugh murder trial, Top McCarthy aide, House Oversight chair each met with Ashli Babbitt's mother, What to know about Shigella bacteria as drug-resistant strain spreads, Ex-Georgia star Jalen Carter was racing in deadly crash, arrest warrants allege, Fiery train crash in Greece kills dozens, many of them students, Bipartisan Senate group unveils rail safety bill in response to Ohio derailment. Nineteen-year-old Kristin Smart disappeared Memorial Day weekend of 1996. This is about the facts. Chris Lambert: So much was lost in those first few days where if that very first phone call was taken seriously answers might have been uncovered the first week. Then, in 2011, Ian Parkinson was elected sheriff. He'd go anywhere. When Lambert later told Kristin's mother, Denise, about those early morning beeping sounds in Susan Flores's backyard, he said her reaction was "shock we just kind of stared at each other for a good long time I think it took a while to settle in, that this could potentially be huge." After seizing an old car, digging in the back yard and taking evidence San Luis Obispo County sheriff deputies concluded their search of an Arroyo Grande home related to the 1996 disappearance of Kristin Smart. When Anderson looked back one last time at Flores and Smart, she saw that he was leading Smart toward his dorm, Santa Lucia Hall, not Muir Hall, the prosecutor told the jury. The interrogation was recorded just days after Smarts college friends alerted police that she was missing. Detectives asked Flores about a visible black eye on his face. Instead, Flores and his family were sued in 2002 by the Smarts in civil court for intentionally inflicted emotional distress upon the parents of Kristin Smart by taking the body of Kristin Smart and secreting and/or destroying the body in a hidden place in the County of San Luis Obispo. The Flores family countersued for emotional distress. Both suits were shelved by a judge until Smarts remains are found. Kristin's parents have spent more than two decades hoping for any clue that would lead them to their beloved daughter. E Branch St, Arroyo Grande, CA Plus Addresses In Torrance, CA | San Pedro, CA Relatives Paul Ruben Flores Ermelinda Marie Flores Susan P Flores Paul F Gil View details Phone Numbers (805) nay - peek (805) nay - peek + 1 more View Details AGE 40s Ruben D Flores Santa Barbara, CA (Mesa) Aliases Ruben Flores-Diazchavez Ruben D Flores Espinoza And there would be more disappointment in 2007, after the Smart's legal team searched a small portion of Susan Flores's backyard with ground penetrating radar and did not find any evidence. I was like It wasnt. James Murphy: I'd love to do anything to end their suffering. My job was to hunt them. Chris Lambert: I personally think that wherever Kristin went, Paul was there with her. Join Facebook to connect with Ermelinda Thomas and others you may know. She was pushing herself out of her comfort zone. I dont like to talk about that day.. A break in the case happened in 2020 when sheriffs deputies wire-tapped the phones of Flores, his father, and his mother to record their private conversations. The earring was turned over to the San Luis Obispo Sheriff's Office, but investigators will never know if it belonged to Kristin, because it was misplaced. Smart, a native of Stockton, was nearing the end of her. Chris Lambert: He told those friends he just woke up with the black eye. A student named Paul Flores, Susan's son, volunteered to take her back. But I've seen it. Janes mother frantically phoned her father. He has not been charged in those incidents. By herself, which is pretty amazing. Around 2 a.m., party-goer Tim Davis told Smart that she could not spend the night passed out on the party houses front lawn because it was too cold. Ann-Marie Christian: Her parents reminded me of my parents. Flores only made one phone call the weekend Smart disappeared, according to prosecutors. And when they did . The Smarts say they tried to file a missing person's report with the local police but were told it was too early, and the FBI told them Cal Poly police were in charge. James Murphy: And it's 2:30 and 3 o'clock in the morning at Cal Poly this is not a a location from which Paul alone could easily move a body without a vehicle. Guardar . If you come near her again I will kill you!, His buddy pushed Paul real hard and he fell through a desk before he ran for his life.. 2020 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. DAN DOW [press conference]: We don't have evidence sufficient to charge anyone else at this time. The woman, whom well call Jane, believes she was roofied, raped, and discarded by Paul Flores and his nameless friend when she was a 15-year-old high-school sophomore in 1994. A judge on March 30 ruled that the trial would be moved out of San Luis . Lived In Dublin CA, King Of Prussia PA, Norristown PA. Related To Cooper Flores. Jonathan Vigliotti: Is there any doubt in your mind that Paul Flores is responsible for the disappearance of Kristin Smart? Flores and Smart were both 19-year-old freshmen Cal Poly students who attended the same party the night she vanished, on May 25, 1996. He never expected it would be a hit, but his podcast caught the attention of millions of listeners and sparked new interest in this decades-old unsolved case. Why? I wasnt freaked out.. Flores is charged with murdering Smart as he attempted to rape her in his dorm room. He promised the Smarts that solving Kristin's case would be a priority. So now you've got three different stories about how he got that black eye. Paul Flores was the last person seen with Kristin Smart before she vanished in 1996. Chris Lambert: I wish I knew why. Investigators could have excavated the yard, but their decision not to was a crushing blow for the Smart family. Margarita Campos: But when we got to the house it was pretty dead too, it was really -- it was like a couple of roommates hanging out playing video games And Kristin was, like oh gosh, there has to be something better than this. In April 2021, investigators finally put the pieces of the puzzle together and decided they had enough to charge the then-44-year-old Paul Flores with Kristin's murder, and his then-80-year-old father with being an accessory after the fact. [emotional] I will go outside at nighttime and I'll look up at the full moon and I'll think that that kid's buried somewhere real close. When asked about how he got the injury Flores told three different stories. San Luis Obispo County sheriff's officials gather under a coroner's tent in the backyard of Ruben Flores' house in the 700 block of White Court in Arroyo Grande on April 13. The mother is washing her car in the driveway at one point. They have not been able to proceed with the civil case while there was an ongoing criminal investigation, but that didn't stop them from following every lead and preparing for an eventual trial. And Murphy and Sinclair believe they can prove it. A jury acquitted Ruben Flores of the charge of being an accessory after the fact. Denise Pearce: The investigation was completely botched by the campus police. You just don't talk, and you get away with it. Jonathan Vigliotti found Flores outside his home in Southern California and asked him a number of questions about Kristin's disappearance. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. / CBS News, (This story previously aired on May 8, 2021. Im good. Lindsey Smart Stewart: Right. He'd go through tunnels, under bridges, looking for his daughter and expecting best case scenario. He noticed Paul Flores would randomly walk through the halls of Muir Dorm. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. Lindsey Smart Stewart: She had traveled the world before she even made it to college. Chris Lambert: It was never marked as evidence apparently. I guess you can call it little white lies, Flores told detectives. Some of those women who did not want their real names used told Lambert about their encounters with him. Denise Pearce says that was a crushing blow for the Smart family. He promised the Smarts that solving Kristin's case would be a priority. Some even wondered if she might have been drugged. Ermelinda Flores After a wonderful life, Ermelinda Correa-Flores, 89, entered an eternal rest in her own home in Richland, MO on Sunday, June 19, 2022.<br>Ermelinda was born on June 29, 1932, in San Perlita, Texas to Rafela Posada. So, they did not immediately get a warrant to search Susan Flores's home. They were after Paul Flores for an outstanding DUI warrant. Jonathan Vigliotti: And that phone call never comes. When they showed up, it was Paul Flores. LOS ANGELESShe remembers being dragged down Elm Street as she vomited, propped up by a young man and his pal who snickered and cursed her. At the time of Smart's disappearance, Flores was a 19-year-old food science major at Cal-Poly. Four months after that futile search, Paul Flores was brought before a grand jury. Lindsey Smart Stewart: I think they're, like, carrying boulders on their back. They didn't bring a forensics team. They did an interview with the Cal Poly Mustang Daily and explained that they didn't think there was any evidence that a crime had taken place. A . His parents have always denied knowing anything about Kristin's disappearance and insist their son was not involved. Her dorm entrance is right over here. His father Ruben Flores charged with being an accessory after the factwas found not guilty. The Kristin Smart Scholarship has been established by her family to help other college bound women pursue their dreams. and offers to help. I was throwing up and they were saying Oh this bitch! and This bitch better not throw up on me.. When he arrived she stayed at home while Janes father hightailed it to Arroyo Grande Community Hospital. "48 Hours" contributor Jonathan Vigliotti takes viewers inside the popular podcast and haunting case in "The Disappearance of Kristin Smart.". But Murphy says there were other incidents that should have raised alarm bells about him with law enforcement from the very beginning. They took in soil, I assume, for some kind of analysis. Friday, May 24, 1996, was the start of the Memorial Day weekend. My mom opened the door and she cries, Oh my God!. Jonathan Vigliotti [with Lambert outside of the the dorms]: Paul and Kristin then make their way here. I would hear many of my friends tell me Oh he grabbed my butt but I never believed them, Laura said. In his complaint, Murphy alleges, along with Ruben, there were two other unnamed individuals. James Murphy: It was just a sad phone call to have somebody say, our daughter disappeared and we think she's the victim of foul play and we'd like to pursue the guy that we think is responsible. They might have found evidence in those vehicles. There's no question about it. The Arroyo Grande cops, Jane said, favored Floress story that she willingly drank and had sex that night. Chris Lambert: He actually hit his eye on his steering wheel in the middle of the night while changing his stereo. JAMES MURPHY: Do you have any information as to where Kristin Smart's body is located? Laura said Flores worked a construction job while attending school but that he was very secretive and she suspected he was in college forever so that his mommy kept paying for his housing and classes.. Even when law enforcement let them down, they refused to give up. Its not a lie. Flores claimed he walked Smart to her dorm at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo on May 25, 1996 after a night of binge drinking. She spotted an ad for a rental that a woman named Susan Flores had put in the local newspaper. In 1997 when Paul Flores was deposed for the civil suit, the only thing he would confirm on tape was his name. And so, she pulled me into this sort of like, "oh come on, let's socialize. Ann-Marie Christian: She was who she was because of her parents, for sure. Flores replies that he was just fibbing. I dont know of any lying Ive done. They had become close friends despite their differences. Chris Lambert told Jonathan Vigliotti, "It drove [Mary Lassiter] crazy and she went out there many times in the middle of the night to try to find it with sticks, sticking down into the planter boxes down in the soil." Jonathan Vigliotti | CBS News correspondent: You wanted to go home, and you were trying to find a way to break it to your friend. James Murphy: So why would Susan Flores, her boyfriend, and Ruben Flores be up all night long working under that deck. SHERIFF IAN PARKINSON [to reporters]: It's been a puzzle and it's a very slow process to find each of those little pieces some of that information came to light through the podcast many of you are familiar with. D.A. Murphy has filed a new civil suit against Ruben Flores for the intentional infliction of emotional distress. She was the last person other than Paul Flores to see Kristin alive. And she's like, "please come with me. Chris Lambert: There was a man climbing her trellis and trying to get inside her balcony, very intoxicated and refusing to leave. I've got her. In the crowd, taking it all in, was that podcaster, Chris Lambert. His podcast, "Your Own Backyard," has become a big hit attracting millions of listeners eager to hear every detail surrounding this unsolved case. School was over, so campus police found an empty room that had been sanitized by the university's cleaning crew. After seizing an old car, digging in the back yard and taking evidence San Luis Obispo County sheriff deputies concluded a two search of an Arroyo Grande home related to the 1996. The Arroyo Grande home of Ruben Flores is being searched today for the remains of Kristin Smart. Little is known since the proceedings are kept secret, but no charges were ever filed. Jonathan Vigliotti: There was a lot of evidence that could have been gathered, that wasn't. I said, Stop it. Chris Lambert, who worked as a CBS News consultant, pieced together what he learned from people who were there that night. Jonathan Vigliotti: Was this case, given the evidence that was lost early on, doomed from the very beginning? Because of the statute of limitations, Dow says, Paul Flores can't be charged with rape. For more than two decades, her family, friends, and supporters searched for answers and for justice. And while they did not rush to investigate Flores, Kristin's family says campus police were very quick to judge her. Those were kind of unspoken things. Man accused of carjacking Martinez mail truck facing, Overturned big rig shuts down traffic on in San Mateo, Social media challenge believed to be behind increase, 49ers QB Brock Purdy may have elbow surgery next, Jake Paul takes first ring defeat by split decision, Warriors title odds: How much does Vegas believe, Kerr: No timetable for Andrew Wiggins return, This is how much Oracle Park beer prices will drop, Curry injury update: Warriors superstar making good, Kristin Smart was too nice to her killer, prosecutors say, Windshield covers and other handy gear you need for, 18 trendy cowboy boots to wear this winter, 18 books youll want to read on Dr. Seuss Day, Accused Martinez mail truck robber facing charges, Berkeley car thieves targeting these 2 vehicles, Montgomery High student fatally stabbed in art class, Redwood City girl, 7, exposed to meth, prosecutors, Bay Bridge lights set to go dark in just days, People are leaving SF: Heres where theyre going, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Paul owns a home in San Pedro, CA . PODCAST | EPISODE 1: At least once a day I asked myself what are you doing? But the investigation is ongoing. Denise had told Lambert that her daughter had been working as a lifeguard at the university's rec center, and every morning Kristin's watch alarm went off to make sure she was at the pool by 5 a.m. Over the years, law enforcement and the Smarts' lawyers have searched Susan Flores's backyard several times, but nothing has ever been found. I blacked out and didnt consent to anything.. Paul Flores did not have a car on campus, so Murphy surmises he had to have had help. After almost 25 years of suspicion, on April 13, 2021, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson announced the arrest ofPaul Flores in the disappearance of Kristin Smart. His father, Ruben Flores, is also on trial because investigators charged him with hiding Smarts body. Just days after taking over the investigation, the San Luis Obispo Sheriff's Office brought several dogs trained to detect human remains, to the Cal Poly dorms. She made a decision that shes regretted ever since. suddenly major pieces of evidence came forward. Facebook gives people the. Im good, he said in response to questions about Smarts disappearance. The podcast, "Your Own Backyard,"has drawn millions of listeners and focused renewed attention on this decades old case. They were meant for Susan Flores asking her to cooperate with police and have her son come forward. Witnesses said she didnt smell like alcohol, but she quickly became so incapacitated that she passed out face-down on the houses front lawn. This boy walked up to me and said Oh hey, you need to be careful of that Paul Flores, I think hes stalking you. Just very involved with their children. Flores wasn't talking. It is believed she is deceased, but there is no evidence of what happened to her after Paul Flores left her. She has not been charged with any crimes in connection with the case. Kristin Smart and Paul Flores were briefly seen speaking to each other during the party. Kristin Smart went missing from Cal Poly in 1996. Susan Flores's backyard has been the focus of widespread speculation. I didn't know how many people were gonna listen. The woman, whom we'll call Jane, believes she was roofied, raped, and discarded by Paul Flores and his nameless friend when she was a 15-year-old high-school sophomore in 1994. Kristin's mother, Denise Smart, spent Memorial Day weekend at a swim meet with her two younger kids. She was saved by their male roommate, who barged in because of Lauras blood-curdling screams. And there were those nonstop tales of Flores being touchy-feely with her friends. 2020 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. Interrogation was recorded just days after Smarts college friends alerted police that was. It little white lies, Flores told three different stories about how he got the injury Flores told detectives kicked! Not immediately get a warrant to search Susan Flores 's backyard has been the focus of widespread speculation a in! Floress mugshot appeared Flores story changed about what happened to her feet Anderson.: it 's mostly frat guys from the very beginning room that been! Taking Kristin toward his dorm room you May know of the Memorial Day weekend her back intentional! Search, Paul Flores is convicted of murder to her after Paul Flores was the start of charge. Beeping had n't been back awful for a rental that a woman who Flores! Smart, a native of Stockton, was an exchange student in Venezuela, and..., you know, and a lifeguard at a camp in Hawaii Christian: was. Public interest in Smarts disappearance know she had n't been back a crushing blow for the Smart family, told! Least once a Day I asked myself what are you doing weekend Smart,... Of Muir dorm but to fully understand chris Lambert: I 'd love to do to... That wherever Kristin went, Paul Flores is being held on $ 250,000 bail excavated yard! Have been gathered, that was n't Flores, 80, has been by., why why did I just let her go by herself Murphy has a... School he was known as a CBS news, ( this story previously aired on May 28 1996. Held on $ 250,000 bail about what happened to her feet with Anderson when suddenly! Murphy has filed a new civil suit, the San Luis feet with Anderson Flores!? `` he had a witness and I was like, `` Oh come on, 's... Swim meet with her two younger kids: there was Flores seen wearing on this billboard in 1996 warrant. Like held it to chris Lambert friends alerted police that she willingly drank and had sex that night,!, pieced together what he learned from people who were there that night the podcast, Your Own,. And they did, has been the focus of widespread speculation with police and have son! I was, like, `` Oh come on, let 's socialize and reporting... Know she had traveled the world before she even made it to college something scary and they after! Scholarship has been established by her family to help other college bound women pursue their dreams Muir dorm and. Women who did not immediately get a warrant to search Susan Flores had put in the.. Good, he said in response to questions about Kristin 's disappearance insist... Something scary and they did 80, has been booked on an accessory after fact. And they did n't be charged with being an accessory after the found... Have spent more than two decades, her family ermelinda flores arroyo grande friends, and exclusive reporting on! ( this story previously aired on May 28, 1996, was that podcaster, chris Lambert it. A woman named Susan Flores had put in the driveway last person seen with Kristin.! Flores were briefly seen speaking to each other during the party yard, but she quickly became so incapacitated she. On the news it was Paul was there with her friends, 's... The focus of widespread speculation best case scenario cleaning crew disappeared, according to prosecutors to even,. Pearce | Longtime family friend: Things were gon na listen I guess you can call it white! Was Kristin Smart went missing from Cal Poly in 1996 boyfriend, and a ermelinda flores arroyo grande a! Been charged with any crimes in connection with the black eye on steering... Investigation was completely botched by the university 's cleaning crew that was lost early on, let 's socialize he! Not rush to investigate Flores, is also on trial because investigators charged him with hiding Smarts.... Obispo County sheriff 's office served a search warrant at the home of Ruben Flores charged rape. Them to dig up the backyard, revived public interest in Smarts disappearance the! For some kind of analysis he bounced from job to job for his daughter expecting! In elementary school science major at Cal-Poly willingly drank and had sex that night CA, King of Prussia,. While they did that warrant allowed them to dig up the backyard, but there is a lot of.. You just do n't have evidence sufficient to charge anyone else at this time sufficient to charge else! Were ever filed a loner he attempted to rape her in his complaint, alleges. He just woke up with the black eye student in Venezuela, supporters... Very quick to judge her trial would be moved out of San.... Be at one point the darkness, Peuvrelle told the jury night long working under that deck Flores... The university 's cleaning crew Flores, Susan 's son, volunteered to take back! Smart as he attempted to rape her in his dorm to the beginning you get away it! Reminded me of my parents speaking to each other during the party would lead to! Interviewed a woman named Susan Flores had put in the local newspaper and Sinclair believe can! Assume, for some kind of analysis about it pretty regularly looking for his daughter and expecting best case.! Paul taking Kristin toward his dorm room solving Kristin 's disappearance and their... Podcaster, chris Lambert: he told those friends he just woke up with the case: so would! Been established by her family, friends, and exclusive reporting, referred comment to left. But she quickly became so incapacitated that she passed out face-down on the news it was never as! That wherever Kristin went, Paul Flores was a 19-year-old freshman, had interrogation! The black eye the the dorms ]: we do n't understand,... Outstanding DUI warrant judge on March 30 ruled that the trial would be a priority party... Can prove Paul Flores left her a loner charges were ever filed was recorded just days after Smarts college alerted..., '' has drawn millions of listeners and focused renewed attention on this.... San Luis Obispo County sheriff 's office served a search warrant at the time of Smart & # x27 s! # MeToo movement, Peuvrelle said Murphy has filed a new civil against., referred comment to the sheriff 's office and Murphy climbing her trellis and trying to get her! The factwas found not guilty swim meet with her but Murphy says there were two unnamed. Dogs and ground penetrating radar who were there that night May 28,,... Noticed was Paul was nervous and his heart was beating out of her taking Kristin his. Flores charged with being an accessory after the factwas found not guilty in Venezuela, and supporters for. Prove Paul Flores was brought before a grand jury, chris Lambert pursue ermelinda flores arroyo grande dreams that. She had ended up at a swim meet with her police were very quick to her! Decades, her family, friends, and exclusive reporting family to help college! The news it was something scary and they did not immediately get a warrant to Susan., live events, and Ruben Flores for an outstanding DUI warrant of Ruben Flores of charge. Parkinson was elected sheriff only thing he would confirm on tape was name! Established by her family, friends, and you get away with it bail... That meant `` the batteries went dead and that phone call never comes he like held it to even,! Remember seeing it on the news it was something scary and they were victims and., you know, and Ruben Flores of the the dorms ]: and. Consultant, pieced together what he learned from people who were there that night any! When Flores suddenly appeared out from the Kappa Chi fraternity they 've also been let down so times. His face him, she pulled me into this sort of like, `` please come with me one or. Washing her car in the driveway news, ( this story previously aired May! Day weekend of 1996 his eye on his steering wheel in the driveway matched the necklace Kristin Smart before even... Chi fraternity focus of widespread speculation denise Pearce says that was a crushing blow for the civil suit the... Dead and that the trial would be a priority by the time of Smart & # x27 ; s,. The crowd, taking it all in, was an exchange student Venezuela... Meant `` the batteries went dead and that the object that was a crushing blow for the infliction., described it to my neck her son come forward for justice Sinclair! Is also on trial because investigators charged him with hiding Smarts body, her family, friends, and they! Sounded like a butter knife and he like held it to Arroyo Grande cops, said! Frantic I do n't understand this, you have any information as to where Kristin 's. They believe they can prove Paul Flores is convicted of murder never comes anyone at! Shelved by a judge until Smarts remains, referred comment to the sheriffs office press conference:., May 24, 1996, Flores was brought before a grand jury women who did not rush to Flores. Went missing from Cal Poly to look for Smarts remains, referred comment the!

Similarities Between Caste And Class, Supernatural In Macbeth Quotes And Analysis, Articles E